Red and purple spot on leopard plastron

Fatur

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Today, my leopard tortoise had a strange sign. There's a red and purple spot on his plastron. Any one have an idea what's going on?

My leopard size 6.5 cm
Plastron still hard.

Attachments

• IMG-20211006-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20211006-WA0031.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 41

Thomasstortoise

Greystones
ok first,

how old is your little one approx;

secondly, did he eat fruits red in color or that might've stained his plastron a bit,
if not then this could be an early sign of shell rot go to the vet and see what they say
get back to me on that :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
ok first,

how old is your little one approx;

secondly, did he eat fruits red in color or that might've stained his plastron a bit,
if not then this could be an early sign of shell rot go to the vet and see what they say
get back to me on that :)
Leopards do not get shell rot and running to a vet can do more harm then good as most do not know enough about tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would just keep an eye on the areas and see if they change at all.
I don't see any purple, I see what looks like brown or grayish. Could just be color of plastron changing. The red could just be something that irritated him .

Thomasstortoise

Greystones
Leopards do not get shell rot and running to a vet can do more harm then good as most do not know enough about tortoises.
not mean to start war but all torts get shell rot mister, maybe the vet would not be a good idea as its still to early to tell but even leopard tortoises get shell rot and a specific breeds does not mean a tortoise is immune to a specific bacteria or illness, but i guess some people have silly opinions so i guess do whatever you fancy :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
not mean to start war but all torts get shell rot mister, maybe the vet would not be a good idea as its still to early to tell but even leopard tortoises get shell rot and a specific breeds does not mean a tortoise is immune to a specific bacteria or illness, but i guess some people have silly opinions so i guess do whatever you fancy :)
Not a mister and leopards and sulcatas can be in 100% humidity, a very wet puddled substrate and not get shell rot.
It doesn't even look like the start of rot.
A leopard tort would have to sit in it's own poop and pee for sometime to get rot and you can tell by the torts bottom shell and how clean and unstained it is that it's not sitting in a filthy enclosure.
Stick around a while and open your mind to learning from this forum.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Can you post some pics of his enclosure so we can see if there's anything affecting him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not a mister and leopards and sulcatas can be in 100% humidity, a very wet puddled substrate and not get shell rot.
It doesn't even look like the start of rot.
A leopard tort would have to sit in it's own poop and pee for sometime to get rot and you can tell by the torts bottom shell and how clean and unstained it is that it's not sitting in a filthy enclosure.
Stick around a while and open your mind to learning from this forum.
I will correct that's it's not likely a leopard would get rot

Fatur

Indonesia
I'm sorry, he can't survive. So my pardalis bleeding from his cloaca. ?