Red ear slider

Status
Not open for further replies.

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Red ear slider turtle

I have a pair of red, ear slidr male and female...today aftr a long research and.wid t help of many experiencd forum member my turtle ate 3 piece of chicken...but the female isnt eating...only male is going on eating..chicken peices...plus they both fight ..and i need a proper house to keep both of, them...presently i do not have any house except by fish aquarium... Or a large vessel to keep them...as i m writing dis message ...my male res have eaten another piece of chicken...but the female...still t same...please also help me wid t habitat...i.e. The house...at a cheap rate....or...can i keep them in aquarium of 20 inches height fill wid water..the lengtht of aquarium is 30 inches ...height 20 inches and 10 inches breath fully of water...plus a fluorescent light i have....reccommend me as soon as possible..everyone...any more information u need...i lll provide as per ur qustn asked thanx....

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Red ear slider turtle

I have a pair of red, ear slidr male and female...today aftr a long research and.wid t help of many experiencd forum member my turtle ate 3 piece of chicken...but the female isnt eating...only male is going on eating..chicken peices...plus they both fight ..and i need a proper house to keep both of, them...presently i do not have any house except by fish aquarium... Or a large vessel to keep them...as i m writing dis message ...my male res have eaten another piece of chicken...but the female...still t same...please also help me wid t habitat...i.e. The house...at a cheap rate....or...can i keep them in aquarium of 20 inches height fill wid water..the lengtht of aquarium is 30 inches ...height 20 inches and 10 inches breath fully of water...plus a fluorescent light i have....reccommend me as soon as possible..everyone...any more information u need...i lll provide as per ur qustn asked thanx....

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Red ear

My red, ear slider are 4 inches...from head to tail..so...are they consider as hatchlings...and how much old are they

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Photo bucket

IMG-20130130-WA0007_zps7d2187d7.jpg

arotester

5 Year Member
RE: Red ear slider

oops!!! you should feed them in water as the cannot swallow the food outside the water due to lack of saliva.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct.usa
RE: Photo bucket

hi, so cute. please dont lite that cigar. it will stunt his growth. this picture is so funny and cute. thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Red ear slider turtle

Hi saquibshaikh:

Actually, you can keep them in anything that will hold water. I don't know where you are, but here in the states we have access to little plastic wading pools made for children to play in.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11195809

All you need to do is place some rocks or bricks in the center for the turtles to be able to climb up on and get out of the water. They will also need a light shining on the rocks to emulate the sun and to warm them up.

Also, your turtles are too young to tell the gender. They are probably only about a year old.

I don't think you have two of the same species of water turtle. The picture of the turtle with the stick in his mouth isn't a red ear slider.

saquibshaikh

5 Year Member
Help me wid the habitat...and how much tym too feed them...in day..please guide me

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
To me the face in the picture looks a little too blunt to be a red eared slider? sometimes people don't really know which type of turtle they are selling and tell people the wrong thing. It would help to have a little clearer picture of both sides of the head with good light. Once we are POSITIVE of the turtle's identity, we'll be better able to help.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
We need full pics of the head, plastron (bottom shell), and better pics of the carapace (top shell). It would help greatly.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
The head shot looks like a roof turtle to me, but it's tough to decypher on my cell phone.. Good luck.. I wish I could trade you a few RES for these guys.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida

It looks like you have a Translucent Red Ear Slider. It's a recessive morph, just like albinos.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Gerards said:

It looks like you have a Translucent Red Ear Slider. It's a recessive morph, just like albinos.

I don't know Gerard... With all due respect of course.

Looking at that second photo, the rear marginals on both turtles are not nearly serrated enough to be RES. In fact, the whole shape of the carapace is wrong.

Again, I'm having trouble viewing these as well as I'd like, but if I had to guess, I would put my money on Pangshura smithii, or Brown Roofed Turtle. They are actually native to Northwestern India, which is the country where the OP says he's from.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
saquibshaikh said:
Maam...i stay in india...

I think you can use current aquarium as long a you provide your RES with basking area and uvb light if you keep it indoor. Or you can follow Yvonne advice and get a plastic container. I don't know the reason for you being in India and so hard to get any plastic container. Your country is even more developed than mine and we have plenty of plastic containers to buy here.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
I don't know Gerard... With all due respect of course.

Looking at that second photo, the rear marginals on both turtles are not nearly serrated enough to be RES. In fact, the whole shape of the carapace is wrong.

Again, I'm having trouble viewing these as well as I'd like, but if I had to guess, I would put my money on Pangshura smithii, or Brown Roofed Turtle. They are actually native to Northwestern India, which is the country where the OP says he's from.

I didn't look through the whole thread and see where he was. I have to agree with you, it looks very much like smithii! I have to go and take some pictures of mine, India has the coolest turtles.

Status
Not open for further replies.