Red-eared slider: how much time do your RES spend out of the water?

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
Interested in slider behavior.... hope others with these little turtles are interested in sharing? how often do your turtles stay out of the water?
I got an 18 yr old RES back in April/May this year. He never had a dry land option until I moved him into a Stock tank. I cannot determine his routine and when and why he likes to be out on his rock. Some days more than others. He moves quite well up and down the rock which amazes me that his growth and mobility was not stunted by lack of basking/dry out land his whole life.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Interested in slider behavior.... hope others with these little turtles are interested in sharing? how often do your turtles stay out of the water?
I got an 18 yr old RES back in April/May this year. He never had a dry land option until I moved him into a Stock tank. I cannot determine his routine and when and why he likes to be out on his rock. Some days more than others. He moves quite well up and down the rock which amazes me that his growth and mobility was not stunted by lack of basking/dry out land his whole life.
It's instinct for them to haul out and bask for warmth. So I imagine that the sun has a lot to do with him getting out

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think it varies from turtle to turtle. Some bask more than others. Ive got 5 adults in my pond. Two of them bask all day everyday, Two of them bask on and off daily, and one of them hardly ever basks. It seems the preferred time to bask is right after the lights come on early in the morning.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I think it varies from turtle to turtle. Some bask more than others. Ive got 5 adults in my pond. Two of them bask all day everyday, Two of them bask on and off daily, and one of them hardly ever basks. It seems the preferred time to bask is right after the lights come on early in the morning.
I have a small water turtle in one of my reptile rooms in a 100 gallon tank, he basks for a few hours daily, but he's under a UVB bulb not the sun.