red eared slider question about vitamins

jake91hall

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor Ontario canada
I have a red eared slider àbout 1.5 years old hes in a 65 gallon tank with uva bulb on his basking spot he uses most of the day ....my question is should I give him zoo meds reptivite vitamins? I bought some while I was at the store it has d3 in it and when I looked it up when I got home it seems it can be dangerous with d3 cause you can overdose? 20181025_124905.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not a water turtle person, but I don't think vitamins are necessary if the turtle is being offered a well balanced diet. A good brand of turtle pellets contains all the vitamins and minerals the turtle might need, then you can offer some water plants, like hyacinth or water lettuce, and some crickets and earth worms.

@Markw84

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't give my sliders any vitamins I just occasionally give them some Cuttlebone.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I also never use vitamin supplements with any of my aquatic turtles. A good commercial pellet is the best way to ensure they get what they need. For young turtles I like the Reptomin BABY turtle formula. A smaller, softer pellet that has a bit more calcium and D3 than other pellets. I also like to transition them and get them eating Mazuri Aquatic Turtle diet and/or Mazuri Aqatic Carni-blend diet. Those pellets are my staple. The Carni-blend is higher in protein which most aquatic turtles do well on, and they are a sinking pellet so easy for bottom walkers to scavange.