Red eye crust on russian tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Oh wouldn't you like to know
My mom and I are really worried about our 3 yo Russian Tortoise, Taco. This morning I got up to go and feed her and she acted normally, but then i noticed this red crusty thing on her eye. Here are a few pictures:

Taco-closeup.jpg
get_hangouts_attachment_url

I really have no idea what it is, but I feel like she knows it's there and it's kind of painful because whenever I try to pet her head (and she normally loves head pats) she moves away.
We don't have a humidity checker, but we do occasionally spray a little water in her enclosure and we soak her once or twice a week.

Is the light the problem? Because we have this heat lamp that can get really hot (over 100 sometimes) and we have to turn it off or she goes to the other side of her enclosure, which is in the 70s... or she just sits in her water bowl.
She always sleeps under her log... and she has ever since we got her.
Also, her enclosure is pretty small. We are planning on improving it soon!

(also sorry my account name is TacoTheTurtle1 and not TacoTheTortoise1. -_- I'll change it as soon as it lets me)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need exact temps. Exact type of heating and lighting.
Exact humidity which I can tell by your description of once in a while you spray, your humidity will be zero.
Post pics of the enclosure too.
Also if a heating device gets too hot then it needs to be raised higher or a smaller wattage used.
Correct temps day and night is very important.

Ok, the hot side is 95 on average, the other side is 72.
But we are also kind of worried that it's because she often tries to climb out of her enclosure and the edges are sharp, so we think she might have scratched her head like that. Do you think that's possible?
Also I will add a few pics of the enclosure with her in it for scale soon.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, very possible to have scratched it on something or even with her own leg scale if she rubbed her face with her leg.
If you think you can put a little neosporin on it without getting it in her eye, then wash it with just water and rub a little neosporin on it. Otherwise just keep it clean.

Yes, very possible to have scratched it on something or even with her own leg scale if she rubbed her face with her leg.
If you think you can put a little neosporin on it without getting it in her eye, then wash it with just water and rub a little neosporin on it. Otherwise just keep it clean.
Ok I'll do that! also we both replied at the same time lol