Red Foot Baby Tortoise

Savymarie14

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend gifted me a red foot tortoise for my birthday yesterday. I brought him home, gave him some fresh spinach to eat and water and he explored his new home for awhile, and then he burrowed in the substrate under the hideaway log I have in there. This was last night. I know babies sleep a long time, but I haven’t seen him come out all day. ( I work from home and was checking on him all day) I was told not to bother him too much the first couple days so he adjusts to his home and to give him some time to himself. Shouldn’t I try to get him to eat? Or should I wait for him to come out himself? This is my first time I have owned a tortoise and I just want him to be happy and healthy. The cool side of the tank is between 75-80 degrees and the hot side is between 90-95. His hideaway log is in the middle of the tank, and he is burrowed underneath. I will take any advice I can get and will appreciate it! Thank you for reading!
-An overly worried new mom lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Happy Birthday late.
You should take him out daily and give him a warm water soak for about 1/2 hour. Do this in the a.m. and then place him in front of his food.
You really need yo read our caresheet so you know exactly the correct info for housing him. You didn't mention humidity which is very important to all torts and specially the RF so I'm guessing the info you received may have not been the most updated.

Savymarie14

FL
Happy Birthday late.
You should take him out daily and give him a warm water soak for about 1/2 hour. Do this in the a.m. and then place him in front of his food.
You really need yo read our caresheet so you know exactly the correct info for housing him. You didn't mention humidity which is very important to all torts and specially the RF so I'm guessing the info you received may have not been the most updated.
Happy Birthday late.
Happy Birthday late.
Thank you for your response! Where is your care sheet so I can view it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
95 is on the hot side for your new tortoise.
Read up on the correct keeping and correct foods and give us a few photographs of the enclosure and what you're using for lights, heat and UVB
Where in Florida are you?
Will you eventually be keeping him outdoors?