red foot caging

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
Hi, I am new to the forum. I am getting my first tort, a gorgeous juvie red foot. I will be keeping him in a zoomed tortoise house, which is as big as I can fit. It is 3 by 2. Does this wood rot when misted? I am going to try and keep him outside in the summer.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
InvertaHerp said:
Hi, I am new to the forum. I am getting my first tort, a gorgeous juvie red foot. I will be keeping him in a zoomed tortoise house, which is as big as I can fit. It is 3 by 2. Does this wood rot when misted? I am going to try and keep him outside in the summer.

Please review your housing ability before you purchase a tortoise that needs more space than you've stated you can fit in your living arraignment. A less than happy pet ends up with everyone having a bad experience..

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
I should mention that I want to know if this size is ok and that he will be taken out every day to get more exercise and socialization

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
I have one and have it lined wth a clear, cheap shower curtain. Water does not touvh the wood. I also cover 90 % of the top with plexiglass to hold the humidity.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
Thanks for the answer. Can I use something like polyurethane? This cage will be big enough, correct? I would like to be able to keep him in this for years. He will be taken out every day to exercise and socialize. If you cover part of it, how does the heat get through? Also, how big across is the opening to the den area in the tortoise home? Sorry for all the questions...

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
bear in mind a 3 by 2 won't last long, 3 years max really

Really, I was told it would. That is the biggest I can fit right now. Maybe a 6 by 2 in a few years. How big is the opening to the sleeping area in the house? And if the top is covered, how does heat get in? Can I coat the wood in a polyurethane?

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
bear in mind a 3 by 2 won't last long, 3 years max really

Really, I was told it would. That is the biggest I can fit right now. Maybe a 6 by 2 in a few years. How big is the opening to the sleeping area in the house? And if the top is covered, how does heat get in? Can I coat the wood in a polyurethane?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I would advise you on substrate and basic husbandry practices, but if its over 5-6", 3x2 is far from sufficient. The max that should house is a 4-5" inch tortoise. From a hatchling, it will house a tort for a max of 2 years. If you can't provide more then that straight-away, do not get a tortoise. An adult red foot CAN'T be kept in anything less then 10x8, and should not be housed inside. You need a large outdoor enclosure.
If you can't fit bigger, please be responsible and do not do it to begin with.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
We built Rosie a 4 ft by 6 ft and she's just now two years old. I don't see her being happier in something half the size. She spent this winter inside in it and will probably be in it on and off for the next few years but once she's full grown she'll be outside with a heated shed. She has a summer outdoor pen in the works and this 4ft by 6ft is her nighttime/winter enclosure for when she's older. They may seem like slow animals, but they do require a large amount of space and can cover quite the distance daily and to restrict that is inhumane.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
We built Rosie a 4 ft by 6 ft and she's just now two years old. I don't see her being happier in something half the size. She spent this winter inside in it and will probably be in it on and off for the next few years but once she's full grown she'll be outside with a heated shed. She has a summer outdoor pen in the works and this 4ft by 6ft is her nighttime/winter enclosure for when she's older. They may seem like slow animals, but they do require a large amount of space and can cover quite the distance daily and to restrict that is inhumane.

So what do you recommend and how big is your tort? I was considering building a 9 by 3 and keeping my tort outside in the summer in a big pen.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I have 2 zoo meds secured togather for my two young Refoots. This picture shows a hole cut in the plexiglass. I moved the CHE to the side so that you can see it.
There are many affodable ways to make larger enclosures.
In my living room in a large kiddie pool fixed up for a Hermanns tortoise that is only 1.

All of my indoor enclosures are only for the winter and will increase in size to meet the tortoises needs of the time.
Good luck

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
The size of your enclosure really depends on the size tortoise you are going to be getting. I would assume if it is a juvenile it would be 4inches or larger. The one I just made is a bit bigger than what you mentioned (plus has an upstairs hide) but keep in mind my tortoise is only 3inches and not quite a year old yet.

img20130204174951.jpg

img20130204191714.jpg

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
He will be 3 by 2 for a while, then I will bump him up to a 6 or 9 by 2. He will spend his summers (roughly 4ish monthes) in a large outdoor pen.

Also, a question: I have a very large yard which is fenced. In the summer, can he walk around the entire yard, or should I make a smaller pen? I also have a sprinkler set up to increase humidity if it isn't naturally high enough.

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
I understand you keep saying he/she will be in a 3x2 enclosure but no one can answer your question on if that is large enough if we don't know how large your tortoise is going to be. If you said you were getting a hatchling I'm sure you would get plenty of responses saying that is large enough for few years, with no problem. Although, since you said the tortoise you plan to purchase will be a juvenile we need to know the size of the tortoise to give you the proper answers to your question.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
The sprinklers will be appreciated, but no he should not have the run of the yard. A 200 sq. ft. (or more, if possible) nice planted, fenced-in pem works good.

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
@immayo: He is 3 or 4 inches.

I will make him the biggest pen I can afford and plant it to the best of my ability.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The size guidelines I like best are the European standards, which require a minimum of 8 shell lengths by 4 shell lengths for one tortoise. (https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/Indoor-Housing/2--enclosures ) By this standard, a 3x2 is OK for about 4-5" of tortoise, and a 6x2 would be OK for about 5-7" roughly. The adult length of the red-footed tortoise is about 12'.

Unfortunately, pet shop clerks tend to benefit when they sell you stuff, even if it is not always the best options for the pet. The ZooMed cage is very well made, and should last for a long time, but is really only suitable for a very small tortoise. Even for little guys, the ratio of hide to open space is not optimal, and you there are lots of options for bigger, nicer habitats at a much lower price per square inch.

As far as outside goes- the bigger the better again, but a tiny tort in a big space gets really hard to find when you need it, and small torts can find openings that are invisible to you and get out through amazingly small spaces! When he is a bit bigger, you can check your fenceline for gaps and let it loose, but for this summer, you probably want to stick to about 8x4 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.