Red foot habitat

Melissaann

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
I posted in the new members section a few weeks ago after we found a pretty large red foot tortoise wandering down the road. I've looked everywhere but we never found the owners (sadly) I didn't really want a tortoise since we already have a dog and two cats. I can honestly say this guy is pretty cool though and he found a good home with us cause my fiancé is obsessed with him. Here's a picture of his out door living area. The fiancé is currently working on an indoor one too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 135

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Everything looks great!
For everyones sake, make sure your dogs absolutely cannot get in the enclosure, ever.
The best dogs in the world look at tortoises as walking beef jerkey. They will kill your tortoise. It's happened to many if us, who have very well behaved dogs. It's just what they do.
Good luck!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Looks like he's got it made! Nice job. My dog ignores my torts. They live in the back yard and my dog doesn't even care. Maybe that's because he's been around them his whole life?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't trust a dog around any tortoises . Great job on the enclosure.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Glad he found a home with you guys. My little sister lives in the Jax area (Mandarin) and had she found him, he would be at her house right now.
As for dogs, I know what many have said about the dangers. But in 40 years of tortoise tortoise keeping I've never had any dog I've ever owned show any interest in any tortoise--ever. Except to pee on them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. Mine is a little BASTARD of a chihuaha. He attacks everything BUT the tortoises. 14 years and counting....I guess we're the lucky ones. Nice find and a nice score for the little tortoise too!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Very nice yard... Very nice tort :D Yes, please make sure that your dogs NEVER EVER is alone with your tortoise. Dogs WILL kill tortoises. It's just what they do.