Red foot has spent last 2 days soaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
I am a new owner, so I don't know if this normal but my little red foot has spent the last two days soaking in his little dish. I know he can get out and walk because I change his water and he will walk around, but as soon as I replace the water he crawls back int to soak

Is this normal? My husbandry hasn't changed. 90 degrees on one side 8 ish on the other and at least 70% humidity. He was treated for roundworms so I don't think it's parasites. Any help would be great.
I meant 80ish some please any advice??? I'm worried :(

Avarice29

5 Year Member
Perhaps your tort doesn't feel he's hydrated enough.
Do you soak him daily?

I don't think it's anything to worry about but... Hopefully other more experienced members can help.

LindaF

5 Year Member
My redfoot sometimes does that. I always find it disturbing when he even sleeps in his water.
You might also try to spray him more and see if he soaks less, or perhaps he needs the temp turned down just a little???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know about RF tortoises, but when my box turtles spend a lot of time in the water its usually because they're starting to be sick.

Maybe take a stool sample to the vet to see if he has worms.

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
Yeah he just got treated for worms :( he's was sleeping in there. He finally got out today lol

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Your lil’ guy sounds fine ….Redfoots will soak for long periods. Now the concern is the constant daily long soakings. I would suggest he is cooling down is why your witnessing this. 90* is very warm for a young tort/hatchling and down at the substrate level it’s probably more like 98*. As far as them getting sick before soaking I have never witnessed that ( matter of fact that is the complete opposite and WILL make them sick with upper RI’s, Shell Rot, ect.….the constant soaking) Now if we were talking Adult RF’s / Cherry’s and your tort is a gal .. it means she is going to nest and lay soon. This is typical Redfoot fashion and they will soak for hours for a few days prior to “ dropping her load” .

JD~:)

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
Oh thank you so much for the reassurance! I just bought a new hydrometer and thermometer for the other side of the enclosure so I can monitor both sides. I just added a UVB light maybe it's making it to hot. I will turn it off and see how he reacts.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I agree with n2torts, 90 degrees is a little hot for red foot hatchlings. The basking spot for my red foot hatchlings is usually about 88-90, ambient air temperature should be more 80-82. 99% likely he's soaking because he's to hot, or not enough hydration, which would be because of the to-high temperatures. Lower the temperature a bit and he should be fine :).

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I keep air temperatures at 80-82 on the cool end and 85 on the warm end; basking locations are ~90ºF.

If you drop the temps and he's still soaking himself, you'll need another vet visit. Like Yvonne said, it can be a sign of illness/parasites but I'd start by lowering the ambient temperatures, 90 is too high.

Icantdrive49

5 Year Member
So I now have it so its 90 and he has stopped soaking but the Temp on the cool side is constantly 70. How do yal keep the cool side warmer?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Icantdrive49 said:
So I now have it so its 90 and he has stopped soaking but the Temp on the cool side is constantly 70. How do yal keep the cool side warmer?

Lower wattage heat source....or install heat source further away ~:shy:

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
N2TORTS said:
Icantdrive49 said:

Lower wattage heat source....or install heat source further away ~:shy:

Like JD said, I have a 60 watt CHE on one end and a 100 watt on the other to achieve my heat gradient. Both are hooked up to a thermostat.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Just curious what it means if you never see them soaking? I see dirt in the water after I change it daily so I know she's at least walked into it, but I never see her drinking any more in her larger enclosed enclosure. Is it just that she's staying hydrated enough from her greens and higher ambient humidity? She's still eating and active so I'm not too concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.