obiwantortellini

Location (City and/or State)
North Charleston, SC
I have researched so much and still am not 100% sure about lighting.

We are getting a red foot hatchling next week, we will set it up in a temporary 20 gallon terrarium which is a 2x1x1 i think (yes it’s small but the breeder actually recommended this for a temporary enclosure)

i know that i would need a che and a uvb light.
i bought a 100w che, still trying to find a lamp fixture for it, i notice people saying set it on a thermostat and i can’t seem to figure out what that means.

for the uvb, what wattage should i buy? i am leaning towards a vertical one but not sure about the wattage and how i’ll set it up.

do they need any extra lights? i don’t want it to be too hot for it :( i’m new to all of this and want to make sure everything is ready before we even get it.. so any advice is appreciated. thank you and if anyone can recommend lamp fixtures as well

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You'll need a linear T5 florescent uvb tube like this one.
Most pet shops DO NOT SELL THESE.
But Big Al's Pets and LLL Reptiles do online.
Choose a length that will suit your next enclosures size. (Maybe a 24")
Get a 5.0

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 11

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
Get a 5.0
thank you so much you’re god sent! my terrarium has like a mesh screen, do i just set this down on that screen?

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
Get a 5.0
cannot seem to find one exactly like this that already has the bulb i found the hood

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i know that i would need a che and a uvb light.
i bought a 100w che, still trying to find a lamp fixture for it, i notice people saying set it on a thermostat and i can’t seem to figure out what that means.
A quick internet search turned up this thermostat:
71n290lSosL._AC_UL115_.jpg
There are many types now. This one is about $20 on Amazon.

Get this fixture from Home Depot:
Remove the clamp and don't use the little wire guard thingies. While at Home Depot, pick up some terra cotta saucers for food and water, and an "Accurate-rite" digital thermometer/hygrometer or two.

Plug the thermostat into the wall, set the temp, put the probe down low and away from the heat sources, plug the CHE into the thermostat , check the temp with the thermometer and adjust the set temp as needed.

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
I have been using the thermostat that Tom mentioned and I love it so far. Just make sure you don't get the probe too close to the lamp, otherwise it won't read correctly!

Also, I wouldn't use a mesh top because the humidity levels will be too hard to maintain. I currently have a sheet of plexiglass that I bought from Lowe's and it does the job. I still have to mist 2-3 times a day to keep the humidity above 80%.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you so much you’re god sent! my terrarium has like a mesh screen, do i just set this down on that screen?
The screen can block out as much as 40-50% of the UVB.
But with a T5 light and at that low height. Plus it's a Redfoot tortoise, I'd say you're good for UVB.
However. You'll need to cover the rest of the exposed screen top to keep in humidity. As has been mentioned.
Your humidity needs to remain above 70%.
Temperatures 80-86
Humidity over 70%
No bright lights
No super hot areas
Hiding spots
A large, shallow pool of water.
You can provide the humidity by using ORCHID BARK substrate and pouring a little water into the corners.
As the water evaporates it will become humidity in the enclosure. All but elimination the need to also spray.
Do a search on CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES. It's what REDFOOT require. Especially when small.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
cannot seem to find one exactly like this that already has the bulb i found the hood
Look up ARCADIA then.
They are actually superior to the type I included as a photo.
You'll want an ARCADIA 6% T5 UVB.
I believe LIGHT MY REPTILES Carrie's them

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
The screen can block out as much as 40-50% of the UVB.
But with a T5 light and at that low height. Plus it's a Redfoot tortoise, I'd say you're good for UVB.
However. You'll need to cover the rest of the exposed screen top to keep in humidity. As has been mentioned.
Your humidity needs to remain above 70%.
Temperatures 80-86
Humidity over 70%
No bright lights
No super hot areas
Hiding spots
A large, shallow pool of water.
You can provide the humidity by using ORCHID BARK substrate and pouring a little water into the corners.
As the water evaporates it will become humidity in the enclosure. All but elimination the need to also spray.
Do a search on CLOSED CHAMBER ENCLOSURES. It's what REDFOOT require. Especially when small.
thank you so much!!! i have repti bark and loose coconut fiber + sphagnum moss for the substrate.. do you think that’s okay? and yes we will put some aluminum foil on top of the cover to keep humidity. thank you!

obiwantortellini

North Charleston, SC
I have been using the thermostat that Tom mentioned and I love it so far. Just make sure you don't get the probe too close to the lamp, otherwise it won't read correctly!

Also, I wouldn't use a mesh top because the humidity levels will be too hard to maintain. I currently have a sheet of plexiglass that I bought from Lowe's and it does the job. I still have to mist 2-3 times a day to keep the humidity above 80%.
thank you, i will look into it. do i plug the lamp into the thermometer or is it just a probe? i’m kind of confused about how to set it all up. i appreciate you!

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
thank you, i will look into it. do i plug the lamp into the thermometer or is it just a probe? i’m kind of confused about how to set it all up. i appreciate you!
The heater plugs into the thermostat
thank you, i will look into it. do i plug the lamp into the thermometer or is it just a probe? i’m kind of confused about how to set it all up. i appreciate y

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
thank you so much!!! i have repti bark and loose coconut fiber + sphagnum moss for the substrate.. do you think that’s okay? and yes we will put some aluminum foil on top of the cover to keep humidity. thank you!
Aside from the moss, yes.
A RF may eat the moss. It's not easily digested and may cause in impaction issue.
You're most welcome. In fact, thank YOU for asking and listening