Red foot Humidity at night

Callum1941

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
Hi guys, Im getting a baby red foot this week and was curious about humidity at night. The enclosure temp stays around 75 - 80f but the humidity seems to increase to around 85% is this ok?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi guys, Im getting a baby red foot this week and was curious about humidity at night. The enclosure temp stays around 75 - 80f but the humidity seems to increase to around 85% is this ok?
I wouldn't want 75 degrees with 85% humidity...seems to me that's cool for a baby with a high humidity...so we'll see what our resident redfoot experts say, we'll both learn...

Callum1941

Newcastle
85% is OK.
75 is OK for an overnight temp. But 80 would be better.
Are you sure about these numbers?
Yeah I'm sure about the numbers, I've been seeing the enclosure up for the past week or so and want to make sure I have everything right before I get the tortoise so will put it on hold until I think it's ready. I'm going to order a CHE this afternoon, I've already got a thermostat I can connect it to. The temps were ok a few days ago but we had an extra cold night last night and the temps dropped pretty low to around 70 degrees, I'll keep you guys posted.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yeah I'm sure about the numbers, I've been seeing the enclosure up for the past week or so and want to make sure I have everything right before I get the tortoise so will put it on hold until I think it's ready. I'm going to order a CHE this afternoon, I've already got a thermostat I can connect it to. The temps were ok a few days ago but we had an extra cold night last night and the temps dropped pretty low to around 70 degrees, I'll keep you guys posted.
My tortoises are all kept outside. 24/7. And the nights DO GET below 80. In fact. Most nights are.
I'm just advocating for optimal conditions since in an artificial environment, we can be "GOD" and make changes.
The higher humidity and the cooler temps, as @Maggie3fan pointed out, can cause respiratory issues. But in my opinion, night time lows into the 70s are ok. As long as there is a "day time" in the 80s.
Avoid prolonged exposure below 80• and above 88° is my advice. (Even though they can live in temperatures outside of those parameters)
Keep in mind we're only talking about REDFOOT.

Last edited:

Callum1941

Newcastle
My tortoises are all kept outside. 24/7. And the nights DO GET below 80. In fact. Most nights are.
I'm just advocating for optimal conditions since in an artificial environment, we can be "GOD" and make changes.
The higher humidity and the cooler temps, as @Maggie3fan pointed out, can cause respiratory issues. But in my opinion, night time lows into the 70s are ok. As long as there is a "day time" in the 80s.
Avoid prolonged exposure below 80• and above 88° is my advice.
Thanks for the advice! I'm defo going to order a CHE for the tank so the temps are definitely around 80 for night time. I have a basking bulb in the enslosure right now which I used for my bearded dragon, it keeps day time temps around 88 in the hot end and around 80 in the cool end. Should I replace the basking bulb with a CHE and use the UVB for lighting or keep both bulbs? Obviously only using the CHE for night. Any help would be appreciated 😁

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the advice! I'm defo going to order a CHE for the tank so the temps are definitely around 80 for night time. I have a basking bulb in the enslosure right now which I used for my bearded dragon, it keeps day time temps around 88 in the hot end and around 80 in the cool end. Should I replace the basking bulb with a CHE and use the UVB for lighting or keep both bulbs? Obviously only using the CHE for night. Any help would be appreciated 😁
Is your basking bulb a MVB?
REDFOOT don't generally bask. And most of those lights are too bright/harsh for their comfort.
When I keep babies indoors, the UVB strip florescent is the only light source. And I use CHE for warmth. You can ad other lights if you don't want to run your UVB for 12 hours, but nothing harsh. Nothing very bright. And NO COLORED Bulbs.
You can also do without a uvb tube altogether by just letting him get some outdoor time a few times a week.
Redfoot do well in lower uvb situations. But still need it. With a nice, varied diet.

Callum1941

Newcastle
Is your basking bulb a MVB?
REDFOOT don't generally bask. And most of those lights are too bright/harsh for their comfort.
When I keep babies indoors, the UVB strip florescent is the only light source. And I use CHE for warmth. You can ad other lights if you don't want to run your UVB for 12 hours, but nothing harsh. Nothing very bright. And NO COLORED Bulbs.
You can also do without a uvb tube altogether by just letting him get some outdoor time a few times a week.
Redfoot do well in lower uvb situations. But still need it. With a nice, varied diet.
Yeah, I'll get rid of the basking bulb then and just use the CHE for heating. I would let the little guy outside but can't right now because temperatures in the UK are around 10c. That wouldn't be pleasant 😂

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, I'll get rid of the basking bulb then and just use the CHE for heating. I would let the little guy outside but can't right now because temperatures in the UK are around 10c. That wouldn't be pleasant 😂
Sorry. I didn't even look at your location