Red-Foot indoor size

feister47

So I have been debating on getting a red-foot tort for a bit, and I was reading up on the forums. They mostly said that an 8x2 was an acceptable size for an indoor. I live in southern Ohio, so I would like to be able to leave my torts outside during some of spring, summer, and fall. So when the colder months arrive, is it okay to just have a 6x2? Because thats the size of stock tank I can afford. The outdoor enclosure would be much larger, at least 8x4.This would be for 1 red foot, by the way.
The tort would stay inside during cold nights and during winter, otherwise he/she would stay outside.

Thanks

Last edited:

feister47

Anyone replying? I've noticed that the replies are like tortoises on this forum, extremely slow

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
6'x2' is okay depending on the size of tort. A full blown adult will need more space but 12 square feet is okay for a smaller tort for cold nights and winter months. Your outdoor space needs to be larger though, they need room to roam.

You could always make your 6x2 indoor enclosure 2 stories tall and double its floor space. That creates it own issues with hearing and lighting but it can be done. My Redfoots have a small second story area and they love it.

feister47

Okay, that sounds good. The outdoor will be about... I'm thinking 8x4, depending if I get more torts in the future. Also, can different species cohabitate outside? Like in a large area.

On the issue of double cages, I'm most likely going to use a stock tank, so I might install a shelf and ramp, and have two basking spots, one up at the top, and one at the bottom.
Is cypress a good substrate?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Okay, that sounds good. The outdoor will be about... I'm thinking 8x4, depending if I get more torts in the future. Also, can different species cohabitate outside? Like in a large area.

On the issue of double cages, I'm most likely going to use a stock tank, so I might install a shelf and ramp, and have two basking spots, one up at the top, and one at the bottom.
Is cypress a good substrate?
Yes but how are you going to keep the humidity up in an open top stock tank

feister47

Oh, didnt think about that... Probably going to cover the rest with foil. I'm buying a mister system for my frogs and geckos soon, possibly hook that up into the cage. How does your cage look? Could you send me some pics?

Thanks