red foot keeps hiding - PLEASE HELP

Eve376

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, so i'm a new red foot tortoise owner and im not sure whether im doing anything right. He is round 18 months and isnt really eating/drinking, neither is he very active. I live in the UK so he is currently living in a tortoise table with perspex over the top to keep the heat and humidity in. His enclosure seems to be around 28 degrees and I cant seem to get it any higher even with the two heat lamps that are currently on, im scared that he is too cold and this is why he is hiding away all the time or whether it is just because he is still very young. Please help :( any advice is greatly appreciated

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your temps and humidity may indeed be off...however. My perfectly healthy baby RF sleeps about 22 hours a day. Maybe more. However, he also eats....A lot!

Eve376

United Kingdom
Your temps and humidity may indeed be off...however. My perfectly healthy baby RF sleeps about 22 hours a day. Maybe more. However, he also eats....A lot!

I've just bought a hotter bulb and some worms and I think i may have cracked it! It coaxed him right out! the temp is getting up to around 30 degrees now, do you think that will be ok?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

I think that the temperature is alright. However, you can read the Russian Tortoise Care Sheet for more details.

In the meantime, take it easy...we've all been beginners with these wonderful torts, and good luck.

Eve376

United Kingdom
No, i spray my enclosure down every day but i dont think its working, ho can i tell?
The temp is fine. Do you know what the humidity is?
no i dont, unfortunately. I use a sprayer to mist the enclosure down every day and since i got him i have bathed him in warm water because i read that helped. Is this right? and is there any way i can find out the humidity? Thank you for helping!

Eve376

United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum!

I think that the temperature is alright. However, you can read the Russian Tortoise Care Sheet for more details.

In the meantime, take it easy...we've all been beginners with these wonderful torts, and good luck.

That's great, thank you! He is so beautiful, I just want to give him the best life possible!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Hi, congrats with your new redfoot!
Your temperatures are good. Is the temperature the same everywhere in the enclosure? It could be hotter beneath the lights. What kind of lights are you using? Redfoots are not a big fan of bright lights. I use a CHE on a thermostat and a mercury vapor bulb for UVB, warmth and light. You can also use a tube UVB light, the coiled ones a not recommended.
To measure humidity you can use a digital hygrometer. I have a combined hygro- and thermometer, works great! To boost the humidity use a substrate you can make wet, like coco coir. If you put in water, and mix it, the top of the substrate will dry and the substrate below is wet to increase air humidity. Spraying will only increase humidity for a short period of time.
It is normal for redfoots to hide a lot, especially when they are young. But he should be eating and drinking. Mine took a few weeks to get to know his new enclosure. Now he comes out to eat when I feed him, especially when I add a bit of fruit or protein.

Do you have any pics of your tort and his eclosure? Always nice to see pics!

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
No, i spray my enclosure down every day but i dont think its working, ho can i tell?

no i dont, unfortunately. I use a sprayer to mist the enclosure down every day and since i got him i have bathed him in warm water because i read that helped. Is this right? and is there any way i can find out the humidity? Thank you for helping!

I recommend acquiring a digital hygrometer. There are combination thermometer/hygrometer available. Something similar to this should provide the metrics you need to maintain proper temp and humidity.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DBPOWER-Wireless-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Forecast/dp/B00MB14K5C/
-- or --
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B35APA/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Eve376

United Kingdom
Hi, congrats with your new redfoot!
Your temperatures are good. Is the temperature the same everywhere in the enclosure? It could be hotter beneath the lights. What kind of lights are you using? Redfoots are not a big fan of bright lights. I use a CHE on a thermostat and a mercury vapor bulb for UVB, warmth and light. You can also use a tube UVB light, the coiled ones a not recommended.
To measure humidity you can use a digital hygrometer. I have a combined hygro- and thermometer, works great! To boost the humidity use a substrate you can make wet, like coco coir. If you put in water, and mix it, the top of the substrate will dry and the substrate below is wet to increase air humidity. Spraying will only increase humidity for a short period of time.
It is normal for redfoots to hide a lot, especially when they are young. But he should be eating and drinking. Mine took a few weeks to get to know his new enclosure. Now he comes out to eat when I feed him, especially when I add a bit of fruit or protein.

Do you have any pics of your tort and his eclosure? Always nice to see pics!

The temperature ranges from the hottest side being 30 and the other 26/28. I am using two 150w heat lamps and a UVB tube light. I didnt know that, everything i bought was recommended and sold to me by the reptile place i bought him from, i have attached pictures of this in his enclosure, do you think this will be ok or bother the tortoise?
Oh thanks for that advice, i will order one and put some wet soil under my bark substrate! I have bought some mealworms or him and see if this helps but he doesnt seem to be interested. As a posted this message he ate some kale and leafy greens but i still havent seen him drink, im guessing if he needs to he will on his own accord? i only got him on saturday so im guessing hes still settling in. Thank you for your help!!!

tortoise 5.jpeg tortoise 4.jpeg tortoise 3.jpeg tortoise 2.jpeg tortoise.jpeg
tortoise 5.jpeg tortoise 4.jpeg tortoise 3.jpeg tortoise 2.jpeg tortoise.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
The temperature ranges from the hottest side being 30 and the other 26/28. I am using two 150w heat lamps and a UVB tube light. I didnt know that, everything i bought was recommended and sold to me by the reptile place i bought him from, i have attached pictures of this in his enclosure, do you think this will be ok or bother the tortoise?
Oh thanks for that advice, i will order one and put some wet soil under my bark substrate! I have bought some mealworms or him and see if this helps but he doesnt seem to be interested. As a posted this message he ate some kale and leafy greens but i still havent seen him drink, im guessing if he needs to he will on his own accord? i only got him on saturday so im guessing hes still settling in. Thank you for your help!!!
View attachment 118913 View attachment 118914 View attachment 118915 View attachment 118916 View attachment 118917

The temperatures are fine. Thoroughly dampen the substrate and leave it as such until the surface dries at which point you can resume spraying. You are absolutely correct! Your tort's new environment requires time for it to adjust. Keep offering food, make sure water is available and RELAX! It may take a week or more for it to resume normal activity. Be assured, when it does, you will note a vast difference.

In the mean time, acquire a thermo/hygrometer. They usually can be found in Big Box or hardware stores.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's great, thank you! He is so beautiful, I just want to give him the best life possible!

Actually, the Russian tortoise care sheet won't help you very much. Russian tortoises and Redfooted tortoises require very different care. We have good info for you to read at the Tortoise Library

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
The tortoise library that Yvonne linked is where I received most of my info for Redfoots, it's really a great site.

Have you been soaking your tortoise at all? It's a good way to keep them hydrated.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I prefer ceramic heat emitters and thermostats to control heat. I also build closed chambered enclosures (no openings) to keep heat and humidity in.

Eve376

United Kingdom
The temperatures are fine. Thoroughly dampen the substrate and leave it as such until the surface dries at which point you can resume spraying. You are absolutely correct! Your tort's new environment requires time for it to adjust. Keep offering food, make sure water is available and RELAX! It may take a week or more for it to resume normal activity. Be assured, when it does, you will note a vast difference.

In the mean time, acquire a thermo/hygrometer. They usually can be found in Big Box or hardware stores.

I'm thinking about loosing the perspex which i have over my enclosure now and do a sort of greenhouse idea to keep in the humidity! do you recommed a humidifier? if so, warm or cold mist? im so new to RF's so i need all the help i can get!

Eve376

United Kingdom
I prefer ceramic heat emitters and thermostats to control heat. I also build closed chambered enclosures (no openings) to keep heat and humidity in.

does the ceramic heater emit light too? im new to all of this so i would love to see photos of your enclosure! as i said to HLogic, im thinking about getting a greenhouse top cover to go over my enclosure to keep in the humidity and heat, especially cause our winter here in the UK hasnt been great this year!

Eve376

United Kingdom
The tortoise library that Yvonne linked is where I received most of my info for Redfoots, it's really a great site.

Have you been soaking your tortoise at all? It's a good way to keep them hydrated.

yeah i soak him every day in warm water, he loves it! Is this how often i should be doing it?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My understanding is that hydration and humidity are really important for a young tortoises growth, so every day is really great. My tortoise is 5 years old (I think) and I soak her every other day, still. Doesn't hurt her, keeps her hydrated, and it helps her relieve herself.