Red foot not eating green vegetables

kellya31

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Bobby hasn’t eaten greens since 3 days ago when I took him in the yard for the first time. He ate tender clover then. Next day I put him out again and he just walked by them, and not eating a thing.
He likes yellow green peppers. He will always eat those. He wants fruit all the time too. In example mangos and strawberries.
I am concerned about him getting enough to eat but I read the diet should only be 20% fruit. It’s been more like 60% right now.
I am really trying to take good care of him.
He doesn’t like mustard greens or kale at all.
Can you give me some ideas for irresistible tortoise greens.
How unhealthy is his diet right now.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Mine likes dandelion you can usually find it at a market, or in your yard. I had to hold out fruit a couple times when I first got mine, if given a choice he will only eat fruit everytime. When I only have him greens, he eventually gave in and ate them.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Or you could chop up some fruit and greens real fine and mix it together real well like mush, so he can't pick thru it

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As has already been posted. Tortoises will often go on strike and only eat "treat" type food if they are allowed to.
Although Redfoot can have up to 70% fruit. Stop it for a while. Or very finely chop it into some greens.
Your tortoise will not starve to death.
Hunger will change his mind.
Also, when mine graze, they mostly eat purslane. Not at all the lawnmowers that some true grass eating species are.
Redfoot are more of an oportunistic feeder. Eating lots of fallen fruit, mushrooms and dead animals in the wild.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Mine loves turnip greens and dandelion.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Bobby hasn’t eaten greens since 3 days ago when I took him in the yard for the first time. He ate tender clover then. Next day I put him out again and he just walked by them, and not eating a thing.
He likes yellow green peppers. He will always eat those. He wants fruit all the time too. In example mangos and strawberries.
I am concerned about him getting enough to eat but I read the diet should only be 20% fruit. It’s been more like 60% right now.
I am really trying to take good care of him.
He doesn’t like mustard greens or kale at all.
Can you give me some ideas for irresistible tortoise greens.
How unhealthy is his diet right now.

How about chopping up romaine, red leaf and green leaf lettuce and then slicing some over ripe tomato and tossing the salad in with the tomato...this will get the lettuce all tomato'd up and I bet the tort will tear into that...and avoid fruit offerings for a few weeks....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most tortoises really love cucumber. And the good thing about cucumber is it's so moist and juicy. I grate up a cucumber with the cheese grater, then mix it in with the greens until all the greens are coated with mushy cucumber. They will eat it all.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Most tortoises really love cucumber. And the good thing about cucumber is it's so moist and juicy. I grate up a cucumber with the cheese grater, then mix it in with the greens until all the greens are coated with mushy cucumber. They will eat it all.

@Yvonne G could I do that for a Russian with a tiny bit of cucumber. My baby barely eats it’s beginning to worry me. He eats like a dandelion leaf per day or maybe some collard green. I offer at least 4 different things in the dish.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G could I do that for a Russian with a tiny bit of cucumber. My baby barely eats it’s beginning to worry me. He eats like a dandelion leaf per day or maybe some collard green. I offer at least 4 different things in the dish.
It only works if they LIKE cucumber. You can try it, but once he starts eating, start backing off on the amount of cucumber until you're not giving any at all.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I didnt have any cucumber but my friend did and gave me a couple slices. Cucumber works!.
He loved it! Thank you.
There isn't a lot of nutritional value in cucumber, but my leopard loves it and just the smell of it attracts his attention. I only usually have to wipe cucumber over the leaves or drip some of the juice onto his food to get him to eat something he should but won't.

kellya31

Indiana
My friend has a sulcata, and he eats like a champ. He is older then Bobby though. I am trying to take good care of him. I will try rubbing the cucumber on his greens to get him to eat what he really needs.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My RF adults and hatchlings get hibiscus prunings every day (along with many other assorted foods). They are my staple, free and always eaten greens.

kellya31

Indiana
Update on Bobby. Still refuses greens in his pen. But will tear up on a banana or strawberry.
He is training me to take him outside I think. He will eat everything I offer inside he won’t eat in the house.
Gave him a small earthworm he hadnt had in awhile. Tore it in 3 pieces he ate it like crazy. He didn’t care if I was watching either. ( usually if he thinks I’m watching he won’t eat at all)
I think one of the reasons he likes to eat from the yard he can tear it off better since it’s attached to the ground. He is a very lazy tortoise, all 2 inches of him.
I went one day without soaking him, the next day he drank in his soaking like he was dying of thirst. I won’t be missing his soak again since he is so little.
I really enjoy him.
I haven’t been able to afford his outside pen yet. There is a white totally enclosed on amazon, I want. It would be perfect for him and he could use it for a long time.
Hope everyone is having a good day.

kellya31

Indiana
Mine likes dandelion you can usually find it at a market, or in your yard. I had to hold out fruit a couple times when I first got mine, if given a choice he will only eat fruit everytime. When I only have him greens, he eventually gave in and ate them.

Hi Toddrick
I have dandelions in my yard. He will only eat the tiny new sprouts but he does like them outside.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
My male redfoot will not eat a hibiscus leaf. Females love them, male no. He loves the flowers but not the leaves. He goes nuts for spring mix (grocery store weeds). Maybe this assortment of greens could kickstart yours into finding some part of it to its liking. When mine were hatchlings, I found they would eat better if they were left alone. Better concentration on the task at hand, eating. Take a pic when food is put in, check back in an hour and hopefully some part of it is gone.

daniellenc

Maryland
Skurt is being picky with weeds he loved last summer but smeared with fruit or Mazuri some is eaten. I also mix in his grocery store staples, flowers, peppers and other goodies.