Red Foot or Russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachelle

5 Year Member
I would like some of your opinions. Should I get a Red Foot or Russian tortoise for our family pet?? What are the pros and cons of each?? I am leaning toward getting a Red Foot my only reservation is their potential size. How ever I have been getting conflicting stories as to how big Russians get. Some say they only get 6-8 inches some say 10-12 inches. If a Russian gets 10 inches then I would prefer a Red Foot because of their personalities. I value any input given. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Russian males get 4 to 6 inches on average, russian females can go up to 10 inches, but usually stop around 8 or so.

Rachelle

5 Year Member
What can you tell me about Russian's personality? Are they curious? Do they like to interact with humans? Can you compare them to a Red Foot's personality?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Rachelle said:
What can you tell me about Russian's personality? Are they curious? Do they like to interact with humans? Can you compare them to a Red Foot's personality?

a pro with red foots of that they do better than most tortoises with other red foots, or yellow foots, i believe (someone correct me if i am wrong) a con would be they need humidity in their enclosure.

although I've never had red foots, i do own 2 Russians and i love their personalities! they have to live separately but they are both so different and cute! i have males and they crawl out of their holes all dusty and sleepy every morning when i check on them :)

i believe Russians are the best starter tortoises because they're very resilient and hardy little guys :D they won't require as much electricity (in my opinion!) and are happy with basically a basking light, a lot of damp dirt, a nice burrow and dandelion greens! :D and a water dish :)

I've always wanted a red foot but the constant humidity throughout their lifetime versus the amount humidity any baby tortoise needs is why i don't have one. hope this helps!

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I would go for a Russian! They are a great starter tortoise and have the cutest personality's! I have 2 of my own and I just LOVE 'em to death! They are very curious and mischievous and witty (just like me! :D) in my opinion! They are not very tempermaental and can be very loving :) They are one of the best species in my opinion :) And they are a lot easier then keeping a Red Foot. I would go with the Russian, I hope you do because they are some of the best :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I dont personally know anything about Russian other then i do want one. I hear they are hearty. They stay small. I am currently fostering a male redfoot that is 10 inches. Yes they have personalities. They are curious. Interaction, im not sure. Ive had him for almost a week...he is a neat little guy..demanding one at that...

Rachelle

5 Year Member
I appreciate the feed back. In the past couple of days I have completely talked myself into and then back out of a Russian. I do not know why I am so conflicted. In my heart I want a Red Foot but my mind is saying Russian. I am making my purchase on Monday. SO I still have time to obsess about it until then :rolleyes:

redfoot7

5 Year Member
PA
I had Russians in the past, but had to sell them when I moved the first time. Now I have redfoots/cherry heads. Some pro's and con's in my experience:

Russians:
Pro's:
- stay small
-not picky at all when it comes to eating, actually have to watch over feeding them
-all you need, as mentioned, is a good Mercury vapor basking light as far as heating and lighting go. They can tolerate and I think it's for the best, room temps at night.
-They enjoy a good month long nap in the winter in a cool dark place, so it gives you some time to completely clean the enclosure out, get new bulbs, etc.
Cons:
-Does not tolerate other Russians very well, unless it's females with a decent amount of space.
-Maybe not that eye appealing to some
-Can be difficult to keep from wanting to hibernate in the winter. Seems to vary some tortoise to tortoise, and if they can see light from outside.
-They like to dig and are escape artists if you decide to keep outside for any amount of time.

Redfoots
Pro's:
-Very personable and attractive looking.
-A lot of options on the diet.
-Pretty laid back compared to a lot of other species in terms of roaming, digging, attempting to escape and destroying everything in the enclosure.
-Most seem to enjoy the company of another.
Cons:
-Need high humidity. This is becoming difficult for me in the winter and I'm constantly spraying water in there.
-Needs constant, warm temperatures. Again this is becoming difficult in the winter. My electric bill has jumped about $30 a month since it got cold out.
-Has the potential to get rather big. A big one could be 3x the size of a Russian. This may be attractive to some or a problem.
-Due to the more specific temp and humidity needs, they are much more prone to health problems like shell rot, but are generally very hardy once past the hatchling stage.

Just some pro's and con's in my experience. Hope it helps. I really enjoy both, and hopefully some day I'll get a Russian again. And if I had to suggest one or the other, I'd say get a Russian. There are thousands of them that need a good home. Look on craigslist. Parents buy one at Petco for their kids, then they lose interest. I have really had to hold back from "rescuing" one from a 40g glass tank that was labeled as lost interest, many times in the past couple years.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
If you have the means to provide for either tortoise, then get the one that you want deep down.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Rachelle said:
I appreciate the feed back. In the past couple of days I have completely talked myself into and then back out of a Russian. I do not know why I am so conflicted. In my heart I want a Red Foot but my mind is saying Russian. I am making my purchase on Monday. SO I still have time to obsess about it until then :rolleyes:

Go with your heart, of course. As long as you're willing to put in the extra work, and have the money, it should be fine.
I know it's a lifetime pet, so the decision might feel big, but you are on this forum which means you will do great regardless of which species you get. Just be sure to get the humidity/lighting just right for your red foots and things should be ok.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
that's an easy one ..........
CLTERRYa2.jpg

:p

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Redfoot all the way :).

Of course, that would depend on where you live. If your in a southern, warm climate where its sunny and humid, go for the red foot. If your going to have to keep it inside....A russian is your best bet. Redfoots get far to big to be indoor pets.

And where did you hear red foots only get 6-8 or 10-12 inches? SOME cherry head red foots only get to 8 inches, but most red foots will top 12 inches when they reach full adult size. 13-15" is pretty common.

Status
Not open for further replies.