Red Foot Pee Smell and Substrate

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Little Skurt has been here almost a year and is not so little anymore. In this past year I have not changed his substrate at all and haven’t needed to. He poops during his soaks and isn’t a messy eater usually. However, this past week when I go to grab him for soaks it reeks in there. I suspect this is pee and wonder how those of you who never change the substrate do it? It can’t be good for him and I’m shocked it’s been almost a year with no smell. Should I be alarmed there’s now an odor to his pee? He’s soaked daily and isn’t shy about drinking at all. His diet has changed now that weed season is back could it be that? Substrate is cypress mulch and spaghnum moss.

Attachments

• 2739BFFA-1620-4CB3-9C33-9A957859116C.jpeg
    2739BFFA-1620-4CB3-9C33-9A957859116C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 3DAABC6D-A744-4D9D-9903-82A3DF1DF799.jpeg
    3DAABC6D-A744-4D9D-9903-82A3DF1DF799.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Little Skurt has been here almost a year and is not so little anymore. In this past year I have not changed his substrate at all and haven’t needed to. He poops during his soaks and isn’t a messy eater usually. However, this past week when I go to grab him for soaks it reeks in there. I suspect this is pee and wonder how those of you who never change the substrate do it? It can’t be good for him and I’m shocked it’s been almost a year with no smell. Should I be alarmed there’s now an odor to his pee? He’s soaked daily and isn’t shy about drinking at all. His diet has changed now that weed season is back could it be that? Substrate is cypress mulch and spaghnum moss.

You can simply remove substrate in the fav pee/potty zone and replace with new....spot removal is easy and still allows cleanliness while still leaving most of the established substrate in tact...

daniellenc

Maryland
You can simply remove substrate in the fav pee/potty zone and replace with new....spot removal is easy and still allows cleanliness while still leaving most of the established substrate in tact...

This is what I did. Was just wondering how people never need to do this. Do they stir it daily or simply omit they spot clean. Not sure why he prefers peeing in his hide seeing he sleeps there but he sure does!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is what I did. Was just wondering how people never need to do this. Do they stir it daily or simply omit they spot clean. Not sure why he prefers peeing in his hide seeing he sleeps there but he sure does!

Maybe he likes his privacy in that vulnerable moment :) I am thinking that some folks omit some stuff or simply don't recall every little thing, you know what I mean?

daniellenc

Maryland
Well good cause I was like why does this happen to no one else, lol?? While he didn't seem to mind I quite prefer cages that don't smell like pee.