Red foot swallowed a huge stone

Isabela

New Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2022
Messages
3
Location (City and/or State)
São Paulo
Please help!

Saw my three-year-old red foot choking on something huge, and I think it was a smooth rock.
She was foaming a lot at the mouth when I saw her, and there was something just smaller than her head stuck in her throat.

She could still breathe and ended up swallowing the thing whole. She's about 12cm now, and I'm afraid the stone is too big to pass in the stool.
Do you think she might have to get surgery? Idk what to do now
 

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
91,831
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Chances are since it went in the front end it will probably come out the back end, but you can help it along by feeding her wet foods for a week or so - cactus, watermelon, aloe, cucumber, etc.
 

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Moderator
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jul 16, 2014
Messages
26,832
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Chances are since it went in the front end it will probably come out the back end, but you can help it along by feeding her wet foods for a week or so - cactus, watermelon, aloe, cucumber, etc.
I've seen this happen mostly with RF that had some sort of mineral deficiency or had a RED light inside its enclosure that made inedible things look like fruit.
What is this animals diet? Have you introduced cuttlebone into the enclosure?
Do you have a correctly functional UVB light tube?
 

Duckster RT

Active Member
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
May 3, 2019
Messages
154
Location (City and/or State)
CT New Haven.
Please help!

Saw my three-year-old red foot choking on something huge, and I think it was a smooth rock.
She was foaming a lot at the mouth when I saw her, and there was something just smaller than her head stuck in her throat.

She could still breathe and ended up swallowing the thing whole. She's about 12cm now, and I'm afraid the stone is too big to pass in the stool.
Do you think she might have to get surgery? Idk what to do now
I had a similar problem. Warm soak’s. If not passed do a supervised deeper soak. Try to get it to swim. The vigorous kicking may help. Duck had a terrible impact. No vets helped me. The swim pushed out a huge pebble. Maybe not all will agree. However, it saved my tortoises life. Best wishes.
 

Isabela

New Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2022
Messages
3
Location (City and/or State)
São Paulo
Please help!

Saw my three-year-old red foot choking on something huge, and I think it was a smooth rock.
She was foaming a lot at the mouth when I saw her, and there was something just smaller than her head stuck in her throat.

She could still breathe and ended up swallowing the thing whole. She's about 12cm now, and I'm afraid the stone is too big to pass in the stool.
Do you think she might have to get surgery? Idk what to do now
UPDATE: We took him to a vet and got an x-ray, and whatever he choked on was THANKFULLY not a stone!! It has already been digested and passed through.

I will keep the post up to help anyone else whose tortoise actually swallows a stone, because there are some good advice in the replies ?

Thank you all and good luck to anyone needing help in the future ?
 

New Posts

Top