Red Foot Tortoise for Adoption in Toronto, Canada

neilsonwheels

Hi All,

Our redfooted tortoise is named Milly who is around 9 years old now. My wife and I recently welcomed in a new baby daugher and have also been travelling increasingly - our life all of the sudden has become both transitory and filled with immediacy.

It's sad, but unfortunately although we love Milly so much, it is not fair to her and we just want Milly to have the care that we were once able to give. So, we are looking to find her a forever home with someone who can provide her with the best possible life. It goes without saying that we would prefer an experienced tortoise owner. Milly is very friendly and passive, but adventurous, and loves to run! Milly is about 10 in long and 6in across and boy does she eat very well (dandylion greens, kale, bokchoy, and loves berries of course). We are not certain how Milly would react with other tortoises as she has never met one but I would be surprised if she had issues as she is a very curious tortoise. While she does have some pyramiding, we have been fairly adament about keeping up the proper UV basking, heating, and vitamin D supplements. She has never had any major health problems.

She lives in an enclosure (~ 4ft by 2ft) which was downsized from a much larger enclosure when we had a bit more space, although it is not an ideal size for a full grown red foot. In warmer and summer months she gets out everyday for hours on end for exercise in the small back garden space and loves trying to get herself lost.

We live in the Toronto area (city proper) and would be willing to meet drop her off to a new, loving owner if need be. I am not sure how cross-US border adoptions with reptiles would work but for the proper home I would be receptive to it. If at all avoidable we would rather not have to ship her anywhere.

By all means we welcome any and all questions as I know I could not have possibly covered everything. I hate that we do not live in a southern / tropical climate in a space large enough to allow Milly to roam free outdoors all day everyday but are hoping that she can find a forever home closer to that than not.

Thanks.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Hello, fellow Torontonian. Congratulations on your new baby - I'm sorry you'll be parting with a longtime pet though.

If I can give you a little advice in your rehoming search: I recommend you discourage potential adopters from housing her with another tortoise. Even in seemingly healthy animals, disease transfer is possible and quarantine periods of at least six months are generally recommended before introducing a new tortoise to an existing tortoise group. Keeping pairs of tortoises, even in docile species like redfoots, can be problematic, and there are many stories of injury on this forum from those who have tried. Our warm climate neighbours who have large outdoor enclosures can house multiple tortoises safely, but few Canadian keepers have the indoor space for herds. Small spaces leave little option for tortoises to escape from bullying, which frequently occurs. Costly paperwork is involved in shipping her to the US legally, so I recommend limiting yourself to Canadian homes.

If you need local assistance, feel free to message me. I wish you all the best in your search for a good home for Milly.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ask questions.
Ask lots of questions.
It's the only way of being relatively sure that she will go on to another good home.
Some folks will take in a tortoise on a whim. Knowing nothing of what they need to do. While others snatch up a tortoise just to re sell it for a profit.
I.M.O. A nine year old RF would need at least an 8X8 foot space at the VERY minimum.. And preferably outdoors most of the year.

neilsonwheels

Thanks Sarah, Zero for the insight. We will be sure to screen any potential homes like hawks and take your advice on focusing on Canadian homes without existing tortoises if possible.

It's heartbreaking but before what we feel to be selfish time for ourselves and family really begins to rear its head we want Milly to be able to find a good home. Sarah, would you recommend sanctuaries or rescues within our extended area that could be suitable or no?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Wish I lived in Canada! Hope your tortoise finds a great home!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The Little RES Q http://littleresq.net is our closest rescue that could rehome Milly. They mostly get red eared sliders, but do see a few tortoises to new homes every year too. If you want to talk in person with them, they'll be at the Downsview Reptile Expo in two weeks: http://www.reptileexpo.ca/dv1211/ (which, if you haven't been, is a good way to meet the Toronto tortoise community).

neilsonwheels

Thank you very much, Sarah, and for your advice to point me in their direction. From the get go Marc and Christine were great and as bad a papa to milly as I've been feeling they will be able to provide for her the best and find her a great forever home that she once had with me when she was younger.

Thanks again