Viscardi98

5 Year Member
I'm going to built my 7 year old female red foot tortoise a new tortoise table and I'm wondering what heat bulb/lamp is recommended, and what wattage/heat it would need to be, I got recommended a ceramic bulb would be best as it gives out no light. Also what type of UV bulb should I get, a fluorescent tube or a normal UV bulb? Also being that its nearly winter in the UK what's the best way of keeping her warm at night, I was thinking about getting a heat mat but I've heard I have to be careful with them as they can burn tortoises while sleeping.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
I'm going to built my 7 year old female red foot tortoise a new tortoise table and I'm wondering what heat bulb/lamp is recommended, and what wattage/heat it would need to be, I got recommended a ceramic bulb would be best as it gives out no light. Also what type of UV bulb should I get, a fluorescent tube or a normal UV bulb? Also being that its nearly winter in the UK what's the best way of keeping her warm at night, I was thinking about getting a heat mat but I've heard I have to be careful with them as they can burn tortoises while sleeping.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Dont use a heat mat!! Too dangerous if their claws poke into them!! Im in the UK too and for my Hermanns i use a CHE (ceramic heat emmitter) on a thermostat for ambient temperature day AND night . A 65 watt flood bulb to create a raised temperature area during the day time (look at reccomended temps on your torts care sheet) then a 10.0 UV bulb

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
It also depends on the type of heat mat you use. A Kane mat is safe but has to be used with a thermostat. They are made for animals. A lot of people on here use them for salcata torts. Regular heating pads that we use are not safe.

Alisha Hawkins

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
It also depends on the type of heat mat you use. A Kane mat is safe but has to be used with a thermostat. They are made for animals. A lot of people on here use them for salcata torts. Regular heating pads that we use are not safe.
Unfortunately as far as ive seen the only heat mats available in the uk, especially around me, are the unsafe ones. So id say it's worth not risking it if you're unsure @Viscardi98

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
And a small CHE for added heat.
Don't make it too bright. RF dont like it bright.
And you only need heat in the lower 80s. So don't over do it.
You also want high humidity. Lots of bright lights make that difficult.