Red Foot Tortoise Humidity

redtailcatfish

5 Year Member
What would you guys suggest for the humidity of an adult red footed tortoise, she is hanging out in her water bowl much of the day and I think that her current humidity is way to low (50 - 60%). You guys have any suggestions on how to raise it and keep it raised?

New2reds

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
What type of enclosure is your red foot in? 50-60% humidity is low for a red foot. What temps are you keeping your enclosure at? Also are you using one of the round (cheap) humidity gauges? I learned that those are far from accurate. Went and bought a good one and found out my humidity was a lot higher. However I have a very young red foot not too sure about the adults. There are a lot of folks here with more experience than me. I am new to red foots but have learned a ton from this forum!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I keep my reds at 80/90% humidity. But I'm careful to keep the substrate dry . They are prone to shell rot .

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
mike taylor said:
I keep my reds at 80/90% humidity. But I'm careful to keep the substrate dry . They are prone to shell rot .

Omgosh how do you keep the substrate dry but keep the humidity up?
I don't have red foots but am intrigued about humidity levels and substrate moisture balance since I have leo hatchlings.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
ENCLOSED CHAMBERS...
I raised mine (according to instructions) in a plasitc open topped tub. I guess I am lucky that mine never had shell rot because I kept the substrate pretty wet (one end tipped higher and therefore dryer).
But I can tell you from experience, you will get pyramiding at 50 - 60% humidity. Even 70%. So enclose your habitat somehow and get the humidity up without keeping them on soggy substrate.
This is what mine are in now:

Attachments

• 1385403192409.jpg
    1385403192409.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 184

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
For reds you use heat ropes under the substrate. Poor water in a corner I do it under there water bowl . But with reds you are not using heat lamps at 100 degrees so it's a little easier to keep humidity up . My hot side is only 90 and cool side is 78/80 give or take .

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Cover your enclosure ,also they love to nest into warm moist sphagnum moss ,mist them.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I second closed chambers and WATERPROOF heat ropes (Hydrokable or Big Apple Herp) under moist substrate or even standing water below a false bottom.

Here's the new closed chamber I'm running, my old one can be found in my signature.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79728.html

ballergrapher

5 Year Member
On the top layer, place sphagnum moss so it prevents your tortoise to walk on damp substrate:)

InvertaHerp

5 Year Member
I had an idea: What if heat ropes were placed under some kind of something spanning the enclosure, under the substrate, with holes in the corners? That way you could pour water in, and humidity would come from the ground. Or could a humdifier be placed in the tank?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Take a pond liner or some plastic line the bottom . Then put some plastic meshing like the ones used for light fixtures you can get them in two by four foot sections at Home Depot . Zip tie the heat ropes to the plastic in a zigzag pattern. Then put your substrate down . Pour water in the corners then plug in your heat ropes . Humidity from the ground . I like to put another layer of the plastic mesh on top of heat ropes keeps tortoises from digging into them . Plus it gives more room for water .

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I have a closed chamber with a reptifogger piped in. It's 4' long, with a sliding glass window. CHE on one end, Blacklight on the other. The CHE runs at night, so temps are 75-85" and the Blacklight comes on at 6am-9pm and keeps it 80-95 ish. Humidity is 75-85%. The substrate is a blend of large bark chucks (which keeps them "high and dry" mostly) and peat/sphagnum to hold humidy.
I have a couple of big fake leafy plants (switching to real plants as paychecks allow) to hide under.

They also have a large dish to self-soak. They go outside 2-3x wk for real sun...weather dependent.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Sulcata_Sandy-
What wattage do you use for black light and ceramic heater?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
jdelagarza001 said:
Sulcata_Sandy-
What wattage do you use for black light and ceramic heater?

CHE is 150w, Blacklight is 60w.
Another forum member helped build the structure. Someone posted on the forum awhile back they use blacklights which maintain heat nicely, and as much cheaper to run than CHEs. Since RFs do e care for bright lights, the Blacklight seemed ideal!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Is anyone else using coco coir for their RF's? I despise it, but I read over and over how awesome it is.

I'm almost ready to change bedding completely, so I'm considering switching over, I just really, REALLY hate the smell. I know, I know, get over yourself! Haha

If it works will for redfoots, I'm happy to do it. Just interested if anyone else uses it in closed humid chambers.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Red Foot Tortoise Humidity

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Is anyone else using coco coir for their RF's? I despise it, but I read over and over how awesome it is.

I'm almost ready to change bedding completely, so I'm considering switching over, I just really, REALLY hate the smell. I know, I know, get over yourself! Haha

If it works will for redfoots, I'm happy to do it. Just interested if anyone else uses it in closed humid chambers.

COCONUT HUSK CHIPS. Great to hold moisture/humidity, clean, no insect, soft, no smell, no mess, no rotting shell. Cheap over internet.