red foot tortoise keep getting bullied, help!

tortotorto

Location (City and/or State)
indonesia
hello tortoise people, i really need your help!

Ok, so i own 10 red foot tortoises, they probably aged around 1-2 years (someone gave them to me, and i don't know their exact age). They've been living together in the same enclosure together since i own them. But lately there's this 1 red foot (lets called him jack) who keep biting the same tortoise (lets called this one john) over and over again, jack always bite john on his legs. john's legs is bleeding and he lost some nails on both of his legs. Strangely enough jack doesn't bite the other, only john.

At first i thought maybe it was an accident and maybe jack thought john's legs was a food, so i separated john, treat his wound, and put him back in the same enclosure when he's recovered. But after i put him back, jack bite him again in the same spot. So i thought maybe john wasn't fully recovered yet and maybe jack is attracted to the smell of john's wound.

So i immediately take john back and waited for 1 full month until i'm sure his legs is 100% recovered. But after that when i put him back, jack started to bite him again, and its always on the same spot.

Help, i don't know what to do, the other 8 tortoises are living peacefully tho ??

I also attached the picture of john's wound, do you guys have any ideas why this happened? Any suggestion on what to do?

Sorry for the broken english ??

Attachments

• IMG-20210618-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210618-WA0005.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-20210618-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20210618-WA0009.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 23

Jan A

Boulder, CO
hello tortoise people, i really need your help!

Ok, so i own 10 red foot tortoises, they probably aged around 1-2 years (someone gave them to me, and i don't know their exact age). They've been living together in the same enclosure together since i own them. But lately there's this 1 red foot (lets called him jack) who keep biting the same tortoise (lets called this one john) over and over again, jack always bite john on his legs. john's legs is bleeding and he lost some nails on both of his legs. Strangely enough jack doesn't bite the other, only john.

At first i thought maybe it was an accident and maybe jack thought john's legs was a food, so i separated john, treat his wound, and put him back in the same enclosure when he's recovered. But after i put him back, jack bite him again in the same spot. So i thought maybe john wasn't fully recovered yet and maybe jack is attracted to the smell of john's wound.

So i immediately take john back and waited for 1 full month until i'm sure his legs is 100% recovered. But after that when i put him back, jack started to bite him again, and its always on the same spot.

Help, i don't know what to do, the other 8 tortoises are living peacefully tho ??

I also attached the picture of john's wound, do you guys have any ideas why this happened? Any suggestion on what to do?

Sorry for the broken english ??
Look thru all the threads on bullying etc. on this forum. Jack wants the harem all to himself. If you don't separate John out immediately & keep him out, he'll ultimately die in a fight he continuously cannot win or he'll keep declining health- wise until he eventually dies.

Please let us know his status & keep us updated.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Jack will not change his behaviour. He will continue to injure the other male or even the females. There is an old saying "Can't have two bulls in one pen...". Separate him from the others, and also, keep any injured tortoises separated from the others until they are OK again. Use your common sense to see what is going on with them and take appropriate action as if they were your own children.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
In a lot of groups of Redfoot, I've found that there is sometimes one that just won't play nice.
You have no option but to remove that one bully and sell him or give him his own enclosure right away.
Prepare for more issues as they mature.
You might need to remove another one later on.