Batmam246

Location (City and/or State)
ireland
Hi

A few days ago i seen my red foot tortoise stretching his/she neck out and opening her/his mouth wide. i would just see it 1 time a day or i wont see it at all one day but i saw it today my red foot tortoise is about 5 months old i don't know how i can help my tortoise or do i have to go to the vet. and i just got the tortoise a few days ago

Bee62

Germany
Hello,
tortoises like to yawn. I think you saw your tortoise yawning. Stretching the neck and yawning is a sign that your tort is relaxed and feels well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That sometimes indicates a respiratory infection.

Bee62

Germany
he did it a few mins after he got up from sleep it could be a yawn but i want to be on the safe side
My torts always yawn when they wake up and they yawn a few times when it is near their sleeping time.

Batmam246

ireland
he does sleep alot do you think that is why he is stretching his neck out and opening his mouth wide

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Ok if he is addicted to molasses this process may take a while. Do you have a picture of your RF? : )

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Im no expert but Id’say if he yawn (a lot)like it’s trying to breath trough mouth, doesn’t eat, nose bubbles...

Bee62

Germany
he does sleep alot do you think that is why he is stretching his neck out and opening his mouth wide
Are you sure that he sleeps ? Redfoot tortoises are a rainforest species. They don`t like bright light and they like to hide. My two Redfoots are sitting most time of the day in their hide and watch. They watch what is going on outside their hide.

Batmam246

ireland
Are you sure that he sleeps ? Redfoot tortoises are a rainforest species. They don`t like bright light and they like to hide. My two Redfoots are sitting most time of the day in their hide and watch. They watch what is going on outside their hide.
the light i have is a bit bright but i do look and see all the time i look his eye s are not open