red foot tortoise outdoor habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephenblock

5 Year Member
I just ordered a baby red foot from tortoise supply and was wondering if I could house him outside for part of the year. I am in central Ohio so didn't know if where I lived met the requiements temperature wise during the summer months? My Russian is in a loding that I made this past wekend out of wood and rabbit caging to protect him from predators. I didn't know after my red foot became an adult if I could put him in a similar situation?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Stephenblock said:
I just ordered a baby red foot from tortoise supply and was wondering if I could house him outside for part of the year. I am in central Ohio so didn't know if where I lived met the requiements temperature wise during the summer months? My Russian is in a loding that I made this past wekend out of wood and rabbit caging to protect him from predators. I didn't know after my red foot became an adult if I could put him in a similar situation?

Housing them outside is the best option. Just be sure there is plenty of shade for the hatchling - they can overheat quickly. Predator proof it just like your russian's setup and you should be fine. Cograts on the new redfoot!

Status
Not open for further replies.