Red foot tortoise roughly around 3 years old

Chezap1

Location (City and/or State)
Derby, uk
Re- Homed a Redfoot Tortoise about 2 weeks ago, she is roughly 3 years old. Was brought from some who breads horsfield tortoises, the Tortoise did not belong to her she was re homing it for someone else. Originally went to but a baby. However the Redfoot tugged on my husbands heart strings and he decided the tortoise deserved a loving home. The problem is unless I wake her up she don’t come out her bed! I have to wake her up and put her in her enclosure just to get her to stay awake other wise she just trots off back in her corner. She seems alert enough when awake trots round her pen, eats, dips her head in her water. Let’s me stroke her head sticks her neck right out to stroke, will bask under her light for a bit , but after a hour or so she just wants to find a corner to go back to sleep. I am expecting too much here ! Is this normal I thought she’d be awake a least best part of day light but she had to be woke up to do anything ! Any advice thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.

There’s lots of info on how to properly care for RF under our species section. That said, try to upload some pix of your enclosure & set up.

How large of an enclosure?
What are your temperatures day, night, etc.
How long do you have lights on for ur RF?

Chezap1

Derby, uk
Sorry don’t know why it duplicated twice ! Bulb is 80watt combi I put on at 6am till 8pm cool side between 70& 75 basking area between 31&35

COmtnLady

Colorado
Your enclosures need to be "enclosed".
Redfoots need lots of humidity and with the enclosures being open your new guy will be too dry and too cold. Think 80% humidity and 80F/27C temps. I'd do a layer of clear-ish plastic on top of the indoor one, maybe use the roll plastic contractors use. And wrap it around and over the outdoor one. (Also make a shady place where your tort can get out of the sun in the outdoor one.)

Also, Redfoots don't eat hay, though your tort might like to sit on it. If the humidity is up to the level it needs to be, the hay will become mildewed/moldy, too.

Redfoots are just amazing critters. Good choice!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your new tortoise is a specialized tropical tortoise. He needs warmth and high humidity.
Temperature range 80-88f.
Humidity over 70% 24/7.
You'll need a UVB and a heat source and that "combi" bulb you are using is notoriously horrible at doing any of that.

redfoot-tortoise-care-sheet.175319/ https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-tortoise-caresheet.172531/

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please follow Zeropilot's advice as a Redfoot expert here. What I noticed is that the outdoor enclosure needs to have proper substrate or be put on grass or just dirt, not on tiles.

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
What is that square in the enclosure made from? I would remove that immediately!