Red foot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
I was wondering if I put soap water to kill some bugs that look like flies would it harm my red foot tortoise cuz they are becoming a pest and there are a lot of them but I do t want to spray some soap water if it's going to harm my tortoise? Well I would also appreciate if I could get any tips on how to get rid of the flies thanks in advance

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
We use soap and water for cleaning. We also rinse very well.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not spray/mist with soapy water onto the tortoise nor the substrate....you do not want your tortoise to be covered in a soapy residue....and you don't want him breathing in the soapy water...just not a good thing....the springtails will eventually run their course and become much fewer....:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Damp substrates breed things like fungus gnats and springtails. They are annoying but harmless. They are also hard to control without getting kind of nasty about it.

I have not heard that the soapy water bit works with them, and you'd probably need so much soap it would indeed bother the tortoises.

One thing that DOES work is predators like isopods, also called rolly polly bugs, pillbugs, etc. Worms help as well. You can create a 'Bioactive Substrate' that will help these things live and thrive and eliminate your pests period. Here is an article and links about it- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/the-work-shop/substrates-1

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Soap is a bad idea. When I worked for petco and pet smart we had to never use anything in the spray bottles next to anything with a scale. It was an odd request but there you have it. If it has scales, soap CAN kill be fatal... Be careful... As far as bedding I love Coir but it is high maintenance... But for me it's more therapy. I depend on how much patience you have... Otherwise I'd use natural earth. Bu a roll out of grass. About the same price as bedding unless you buy in bulk. But grass is nice especially if they claim parasite free. Gnats etc.. Have fun...

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot I guess I will just let the little flies live and try to get to of as many as I can but without using soap water thanks again and I'll try and get some worms

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
I had this problem pretty bad too, I realized my substrate was too wet, I replaced it all and now for the most part I see maybe 1 here and there

Status
Not open for further replies.