Red foot tortoises on Long Island need a new home

TortoisesOnLI

Location (City and/or State)
Huntington, NY
We inherited two red foot tortoises several years ago when a family moved and couldn't take them with them. At first we thought DeeJay and Junior, (the original names given by the children who they previously stayed with), were both males. However, two years ago, DeeJay laid three eggs! None of those hatched, but we did change her name to Diana.

Over the years they have grown and they are very healthy. Last week, Diana laid FIVE eggs and they are now in an incubator. Unfortunately, Diana and Junior are outgrowing the space we have available, and now if all five eggs hatch we will need to find homes for them. There is no urgency on finding a home for the eggs since they are not due to hatch until late March or Early April.

We hate to give up the tortoises but during the winter months they take up more space that we have available. If we could find them a good sanctuary or place where they could roam in comfort we would be very happy. We have a gigantic tub, bedding, heaters, etc. that could go along with them if we can find a good person to take them. During the summer and warmer parts of spring they can stay outside if you have a proper enclosure. Our outdoor tortoise enclosure doubles as a cold frame for veggies in the winter.

If anyone has any advice on where we might donate our two redfoot tortoises we would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

TortoisesOnLI

Huntington, NY
Julie with the Turtle REscue of Long Island is scaling back on her rescues, but if you contact her, she may be able to help you:

http://www.turtlerescues.org/forms2/contact.htm

Thanks! We will contact her.

Here are a few pictures of Diana and Junior and their offspring:

9eowiy8XZwgbMXM2JOMWMmKSBn71QzvjXd2TxBoBkr7fgFagdPjUC4ob1kU4TBkDjTB5Rx6tQJL0csKUS3dyQOUh9Hm63p-Tk4FagmJHRUf1C0IEBRHh-RlBpVInsHitXNO-vrs7K1-ig-Pthww-ftKsWBXyG1JgBDJeF8woZQ8b-lAiBBLNMZizRKokvHvlwby3uveLjGF2JYUfG7dJMpNYPvTkW9kh_vAzL2k2WIYzC5-6Mo3F6ODGFbIhS29QCtPVooaVBfrG-_N1vUsPrQqy4b_daFkc8YSpD6b9xNoYjmV2s8wMGezMb5BLWKxTIyujYOxAFWa9YQhiIPvGWDXP8lhbPxmFY0n-82qL6uOPe22kqa3N8xaKxTUK4OEDZBlUsTDsHDyZ-Jh5grlUO8NQ78WWJCjW-koXZw4_isGi9ozs7RfV48DzLfk1I1Qls9wUy-7uan9CkvhLhSSkN8X1S6gLY8QGd9RCdTPo88-SZS6bHT9QfBJPEFPXrs7Ww0iwIoF4YVG3p5CeeyUu5ManpO3UwxAh8M94gIffIuVpZMii-4MKfEZUo27fXh90_QtfybhkvpK1w3pjbtJZ8bUZCvJ2twRswKFjtAuZdK4KxecppAdIf47xBlnVYoNnCaHtu2w0WNOTg-JTfO2yof0pSA=w1205-h904-no

Oqb5gdroDj0y_3OrksSaIqiQJ4fd12p0PsGeaZYoRyjF_Jn1oUgOEd6BRLxCjEYsRFxKrJKHx8v76qt6YZe_cfKGkBPUOfVQ1JXG1jQpsnxHeAmztpHnhOCzT9uVB1pyupErqgX7wQNJLpAarb49r5mOOsCfimbrwKsSbvnT7ROaw5UBQthzG841LAX6Vd8uydUu55mT3XGU6Es8Jje24FjGCaTgH1WZCVhpbCrbKM4rcSy11SRhsirmoLMMf2zqlLGLzb1R8GTYnj9BUCIBWBxADIk-46M8K7GbyxZHRsRY3XLCImO9TSoFumFXEgCQwOWaetfusZspeuT0ll_TKdY5MaxIHrvVUMVYQMm28pOuvsuLM4rbtDsaOgQk0QXa61mXryOZAmjtBEZz36WQEUnNsFNlxHvjATX843jaQBf7fO95yYKp0EJgG1a1ohNGxBDHpcb98x0-j4zys2b5eHJmWkHT368DyQMSUj5U_IHqJt1bVRjqRGS9eAg2zRCXIIWa7OS8MzlXEzpo-Ip3PUMg8SCvMPhAzhAj3p_9iD0LfFK0rI_VB4Fyah2tF5vUiZSdnAzcGJ_bnR8clKFFs0rtMWVkbcEmBcyLTCvJySgyqqCS-X8olmOcEUVMMDoF8NUVDIm90aB8rTHKCrM_yyqqEQ=w1205-h904-no

kNTL99REgYCvtnqRZVh_B-C8AYYunpIQqUg00jbNoEdWtjRBRE4yV5j4nBC2KH6WMKe66x8Xj8GRxcFbmviC6wk8SqtwmIItaVAn29lGB5Cg386FpNKAV8jIQWwlRw8s-GdyIdZhlv_tTTXQavxIOaxkf7qiw3GWvriw6MbxrvxA20mIXjTWu9hRPyQVnkKw9J7NVr41f4Ml0RbLD75uwi1ZB4uC_R7PbfDLsgsp-acMVm4yUGnJV_KRwY8dvs--kUpdK6oKIGMR3hzHfAmrgUFDb9Nn6Y4p-7nNrzmiWqD1g5ggzaot83d6IEm7KaNbTnP1JqppkoNpFZ9xdiaHDgMlv4rnm1z7Uej-S8pytH4u5QFCkJLHNxUcmCYZlTbJImCv1jLZMl0fh35PzmQIsLWIZiM-KoLVwDb1KvYUxKuipH2_zSB20s-PWHsYKfn5xDAx-5zgiEUYIrqJgjisqWERFriyCCHh85mhLys9N15hu0f31ouaGwXkJ1wtC3WUzvq_mu-kJ2QXnLqiLe_81nNRWB3uip6Kn4kyKYEcdIfRcUqmrGsa_FH6ChNU_ZWyOeWSBvQWDJlUf_vcELcIstvt6UJVCScOWizB5U7zqWC4-lZeOX-PUGzheY-gA9gyOlUA5XVrMYbbiSRpGA0wM-F9kA=w1205-h904-no

Sadiegirl

Greenport n.y.
Did the Huntington tortoises find a new home?I would be interested if there still available,I have a Russian tort now and would love to enjoy 2 more.love these torts.thank you carol

k3ndrea

5 Year Member
Dingmans Ferry, Pa
Hey I have obligations ruffly 30 miles from you in long island sometime this month and would be extremely interested!!

Sadiegirl

Greenport n.y.
i am sure you found them a home,hopefully so.I just received the e mail today.I find so much joy careing for my tortie,my baby russian,just got my 6 year old clarance from people in bay shore!I'm thrilled!thanks carol

MasterJedi

Arizona
We inherited two red foot tortoises several years ago when a family moved and couldn't take them with them. At first we thought DeeJay and Junior, (the original names given by the children who they previously stayed with), were both males. However, two years ago, DeeJay laid three eggs! None of those hatched, but we did change her name to Diana.

Over the years they have grown and they are very healthy. Last week, Diana laid FIVE eggs and they are now in an incubator. Unfortunately, Diana and Junior are outgrowing the space we have available, and now if all five eggs hatch we will need to find homes for them. There is no urgency on finding a home for the eggs since they are not due to hatch until late March or Early April.

We hate to give up the tortoises but during the winter months they take up more space that we have available. If we could find them a good sanctuary or place where they could roam in comfort we would be very happy. We have a gigantic tub, bedding, heaters, etc. that could go along with them if we can find a good person to take them. During the summer and warmer parts of spring they can stay outside if you have a proper enclosure. Our outdoor tortoise enclosure doubles as a cold frame for veggies in the winter.

If anyone has any advice on where we might donate our two redfoot tortoises we would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Do u still have the tortoises?

gem1128

Massachusetts

Did you ever adopt them out?