Red Footed male needs to live his best life

Rex’sHuman

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
I have a 16 yo red footed male and wish he could live somewhere warmer where he can spend more of the year outside. I also wish he could have friends and maybe even mate. Rex is such a sweetheart and I want the best for him. I just found out about this forum and if anyone has advice or think you may have a great home for him please reach out.

Attachments

• 36F59087-236B-42AA-AE7F-1DA4ED4B272C.jpeg
    36F59087-236B-42AA-AE7F-1DA4ED4B272C.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 10
  • F27503D6-350D-45B9-8A07-A40281D0DBCE.jpeg
    F27503D6-350D-45B9-8A07-A40281D0DBCE.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 12

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Could you keep him and get him a "friend"? Some folks will say they are solitary animals and do best as singles, while others will tell you they do well with friends. Usually two or more friends.

Is he outside, when weather allows? Where do you live?

Rex’sHuman

Denver
I live in Denver and he spends the summer days in our back yard weather permitting. My last dog was super chill with him. I now have a 2 year old shepherd who is good, but a 1 year old Bouvier who is too rambunctious to trust yet. Definitely two dogs have way more fun that one. Makes me think two tortoise would have more fun as well. I feel guilty to admit that my life is getting so hectic adding another is less my goal than adding another pet. Just had to take my dad’s cat too as his dementia has worsened, am I am getting stretched thin.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I live next door in Nebraska, so I understand the shorter times outside. Before I go further, so sorry about your Dad. That sucks. The being stretched thin sucks, too. *hugs* I give mine a big and interesting outside enclosure to try to make what time they have outside, the best time. They don't seem to mind winter too bad.

Rex’sHuman

Denver
Thank you for the kind words. Just had to take his diabetic cat in last week as well. Lots to do for someone you barely talked to for 40 years. I think I am feeling very overwhelmed right now and just trying to figure out how to make everything work. 💜

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tare some deep breaths. Do nothing in a rush. There will ALWAYS be somebody willing to take your tortoise. Right now, just take slow steps, do what you have to do, and give yourself some time and breaks. It will all work out in the end.
Thank you for the kind words. Just had to take his diabetic cat in last week as well. Lots to do for someone you barely talked to for 40 years. I think I am feeling very overwhelmed right now and just trying to figure out how to make everything work. 💜

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They are better alone or in a group of 3 or more. They dont need friends to be happy and living a good life.
Amen
It's hard to stop thinking like a mammal and try thinking like a reptile. (Except in the case of my Xwife)

Cachorra

5 Year Member
Palm Beach County
I live in Palm Beach County. I have a male RF tort about 8 years old and a female about 5 years old.
I set up an outdoor space in my yard. They’re happy. I move them inside if a storm or hurricane is coming.
Your RF is welcome to join my guys, but you need to arrange transportation.

Rex’sHuman

Denver
I think I have found a home but if it falls through I will contact you. Maybe I could live in your backyard in the winter 😂

Rex’sHuman

Denver
I live in Palm Beach County. I have a male RF tort about 8 years old and a female about 5 years old.
I set up an outdoor space in my yard. They’re happy. I move them inside if a storm or hurricane is coming.
Your RF is welcome to join my guys, but you need to arrange transportation.
Hi Cachorra,
Everyone on this thread made me feel better that my guy doesn’t need as much as I thought (I feel less guilty) but being outside for the majority of the year does sound like a step up. Would you be willing to talk? I work long hours Thursday and Friday but am around this weekend if you are free. Please send a text first because I get a ton of spam calls and screen.
Stacey
303-521-2482

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Could you keep him and get him a "friend"? Some folks will say they are solitary animals and do best as singles, while others will tell you they do well with friends. Usually two or more friends.

Is he outside, when weather allows? Where do you live?
I wish I could put a male russian with another russian. Preferable a female. Or vice versa a hermann's with the opposite sex. I have two males.