Red-footed Tortise, stressed from a move and I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindyLizard

5 Year Member
We have a Red-footed tortoise, he's roughly a year and a half old.
We've never had any problems with him honestly. We are generally pretty good tortoise parents. I let my roommate take care of him before all this though and I think maybe he got a little spoiled or possibly underfed or watered. I really don't know how well my roomate took care of him.

However recently we moved. We had to pack away the nice enclosure we had (also I ripped some of it so it needs to be repaired). We won't be able to set up the big enclosure for a while.

Anyway he rode for 3hrs in the backseat of a car in a smaller tank. He is still in the smaller tank and has burrowed under his hidey hole and won't come out. I tried leaving a trail of food to lure him out to drink.

I know he's really stressed so I'm trying not to handle him a whole lot. He's eating but only if I put it near his face. He won't come out at all. It's been 3 days and he's looking kinda dehydrated :( his eyes are all wet and stuff. And this smaller tank doesn't hold humidity very well.

I just wanna know what I can do to help him. His tank is in the high 70's and low 80s. Because that's all we can do right now. I'm scared of moving it outside on our balcony because there are squirrels and mocking birds that might mess with him.

Sorry if this is kind of rambly I'm trying to give as much info as I can.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I think I would take him out and get him soaked, since your not sure he was up to standards before the move. If he is of good weight, I would not be too concerned over the lack of appetite. It can take a little time to get over the stress of a move (it's just like he was shipped, so stress is kinda normal). I would be afraid out on the balcony it might be too hot for him (along with your animal concerns), especially if he is in something rather small. I would get a move on it for getting something fixed a bit more proper for him.

abclements

5 Year Member
Low 80s is fine. If it's dipping down to the mid to high 70s, a little lower humidity will actually protect against respiratory infections. Give your guy some time to adjust, every time I return home from college my guy gets put in a box for 5 hours and put into a brand new environment. Then he takes a couple days to warm back up to everything. For being a roaming species, they sure don't do well with change lol

Status
Not open for further replies.