Red footed tortoise and iguana?

Jen88

Location (City and/or State)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Hello all :). We just got our first red footed tortoise and so far he (or she) is awesome. The pet store said it's too small to sex. Anyway, I was reading on another forum that red and yellow footed tortoises can be housed with iguanas because they have the same diet, temperature and humidity requirements. Can this be safely done? If so, what size enclosure would we need? Our tortoise is just a baby, maybe 2 inches long so we would get a baby iguana as well. I have a 40g breeder, maybe that would work for a while until we make a custom cage? TIA!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I highly recommend not mixing species. Aside from the very likely disease risk, there is also a very likely possibility that one will injure the other. Plus a 40 gallon tank is not big enough for either of them all alone.

Both of them are great species, but they each need their own big enclosure.

And welcome to the forum!

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
eh no not a good idea if anything where to happen to the tort the iguana would inflict some real bad damage i've been both whipped with the tail of a iguana and bitten by a iguana it is not a pretty sight

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If they don't mix/share habitat in the wild, then no.Even if they do share wild habitat, I would still say no.It has no benefit.

Jen88

Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was a good idea but it sounded neat. What about other tortoises? Could we house another kind with our red foot?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
You could, but you shouldn't. Different diet, disease risk. Again no benefit to either animal.

Maverick

5 Year Member
eh no not a good idea if anything where to happen to the tort the iguana would inflict some real bad damage i've been both whipped with the tail of a iguana and bitten by a iguana it is not a pretty sight

Lol I don't know depending on the size the iguana may end up as lunch....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it was a good idea but it sounded neat. What about other tortoises? Could we house another kind with our red foot?

Species should never be mixed. Also, tortoises don't usually do well in pairs. Best to have just one and if you want more than one RF, make a very large enclosure, and attempt to introduce them after a lengthy quarantine period. Sometimes they just don't get along, so be prepared to separate them.

Jen88

Which species are you asking about?
The red footed tortoise

Specieswe'll keep it that way.uld never be mixed. Also, tortoises don't usually do well in pairs. Best to have just one and if you want more than one RF, make a very large enclosure, and attempt to introduce them after a lengthy quarantine period. Sometimes they just don't get along, so be prepared to separate them.

Had no idea. If he/she would be happier alone, we'll keep it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turtlepete

South Florida
Hello all :). We just got our first red footed tortoise and so far he (or she) is awesome. The pet store said it's too small to sex. Anyway, I was reading on another forum that red and yellow footed tortoises can be housed with iguanas because they have the same diet, temperature and humidity requirements. Can this be safely done? If so, what size enclosure would we need? Our tortoise is just a baby, maybe 2 inches long so we would get a baby iguana as well. I have a 40g breeder, maybe that would work for a while until we make a custom cage? TIA!

I kept 4 red foots and 3 iguanas in a large enclosure outdoors for about 4 years. (4 years and nobody dropped dead to some mystery micro-bugs, can you believe it?). Emphasis on the "large" part, however. It can't be done in a 40 gallon. Tortoises will trample the iguana's and stress them if there aren't high hides to retreat to. When given the chance, iguana's will remain on top shelves and in the tops of bushes, seldom venturing to the ground. However, my iguanas and tortoises ate side by side, entirely peacefully. I even have pictures of them doing so. One of the big greens would come up and put his hand on the shell of two different tortoises, and eat right between them. Entirely peaceful. Never once was there any quarrel, sickness, etc..

So, if you did it in an outdoor enclosure, or a BIG indoor vivarium (iguana's need huge enclosures), then it's entirely achievable. Iguana's alone however are NEVER suitable for 40 gallon tanks. The footprint of this enclosure was 10x4 feet, and about 6 feet hight, with an abundant amount of shelves and hibiscus bushes for the ig's to retreat to.

Durhamstyle

I use to house my 6ft iguana with my Sulcata ,years ago ( free roam area)
My Sulcata bit a chunk out of the iguana's tail. Later I sold the iguana :-(
( I seriously regret that decision)
Anyways, I have known others that housed their iguana ( tree dweller) with a the land tortoise with no troubles.
I just found it stressful for me and animals. Also I agree, it must be an extra large area or enclosure.