Red Footed Tortoise Diet

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Don't feed for 2 - 3 days! After that you could throw rusty nails & hot coals in there and they will be gobbled greedily... OK, substitute collard and turnip greens for the nails and coals - or whatever other readily available reasonable fare.

I think that's what I'm gonna have to do, she only picks a little bit of veggies but isn't really eating much :( is bok choi ok for tortoises? She loves it but I thought I heard somewhere you shouldn't feed them much

pjj

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Maine
I'm pretty new to the red foot world, and please correct me if I'm wrong to do so, but I pulverize 1 small section of orange ( being careful not to get the membrane--choking hazard) and mix it with her greens when she's being picky (which is often). I find she eats more greens that way without getting too much fruit, I hope.

Mavrik

@SlowMcClouskey
I've read in multiple places that bok choi is not good as a staple in the diet, but is fine as an occasionally offering (not even part of an balanced and varied diet). However, I would use that your advantage -- mix the bok choi in with other things until you can trick her into eating something else. Of course, I see it this way -- they also say that you should absolutely not feed bok choi to bearded dragons -- yet my friend's beardie Walter also will not eat any greens other than bok choi -- and he is the healthiest, stoutest, and most robust beardie I've ever seen.

@pjj
I'm surprised that no one has jumped on your post and started yelling that orange is bad in all forms for your tort. I'm not going to do that (because that's rude) but I would just say to keep an eye on your tort, since I've read in many places that citrus is a bad choice for them no matter how much they like. One of mine loves limes, and I do occasionally indulge her with some juice dribbled on her salad. some fruit in itself is not bad for the South American species, it's what fruit you give them and how often. :)

Mavrik

You guys should check out this site:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

I use this still to see what my tortoise can and can't eat, and why. I really love that they include the explanations. Hope this helps everyone.

I use it as a consult, but I don't take what they write as gospel like many people do. They even state on the website that all the write-ups are their own opinions, and that those opinions are not necessarily based on scientific fact since there has not been done much research scientifically in the area of edible plants for tortoises. There are plenty of things on there that they claim should never be fed and have marked as red zone, but I know plenty of people feed it to their torts anyway with no issues.