Red footed tortoise eating habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarathethreehorn

5 Year Member
My daughter was given a female red foot a few days ago for her birthday. She is about 5" in diameter right now.. Not sure of her age. She was given to us in a 10 gal tank and with a 60W heat bulb. Our house runs a lot cooler than most so I was a little concerned about keeping her warm enough. Around day 2 I noticed she hadn't eaten at all since we brought her home and went to the pet store where I was informed she needed a UV light and probably a larger wattage of heat bulb. We just went a purchased a 55 gal tank today and 2 heating pads, 2 lights and a larger soaking spot. She became a lot more lively after we switched the heat lamps and spends a lot more time basking and I witnessed her drinking. But I haven't noticed that she's eaten anything. We just got the new tank set up tonight and we brought her home Sunday night. I have given her shredded apples and carrots mixed with the commercial food. Could she just be stressed because of the new environment still or could there be something wrong?

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi there,

First off, I suggest that you visit:

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/pages/Redfoot-Tortoise-Caresheet.html

to get a quick primer on living with redfoots. Please trust this information over what the pet store tells you, because, to be honest, they often don't know what they're talking about.

When you've digested that I suggest you visit:

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com

and read every single article on redfoots, because the information answers just about every question a new owner has.

To answer your pressing question, it's pretty normal for redfoots not to eat right off the bat. The stress of the move and importation from South America (assuming you got it from a store that imports, which is most) can easily make them not hungry, but that it's drinking is a good sign. I would only be concerned if it hasn't eaten for a week. With that being said, I would revamp what you're feeding it all together. Use greens (mustard, collard, dandelion, spring mix, NOT ICEBURG LETTUCE!) as a base and build it with veggies, and only give them fruit once a week or so. Animal protein once a week is good (my guys eat anything from worms and insects to a little hard boiled egg. I've even seen them eat pinkie mice, but I'm not up to that). I round out my torts diet with Mazuri Tortoise Chow twice a week, which is probably one of the only brands you should consider using when it comes to commercial food. Some owners nix the commercial food all together. At any rate, variety is the key.

Again, there is a great wealth of diet information on tortoiselibrary.com!

On a side note, I strongly suggest you soak your tort in warm but not hot water at least once a day for 20 to 30 minutes. Many pet store torts are dehydrated (mine was so dehydrated it had trouble opening her eyes), so this is a good way to help them regain some fluids. I'd say do it for at least two weeks. It'll most likely poop in the water... this is normal and good.

Finally, welcome to Tortoise Forum! Once you've had a chance to get settled, please be sure to ask any lingering questions you have. And post pictures when you get a chance!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
(Nice post, Matt)

Hi Sarahthethreehorn:

What an interesting username. Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
As Mgridgaway said- brand new torts in general get stressed over big moves, so typically hide for a few days.

They are also often dehydrated and soaking helps stress so if you do see her drink or self-soak, you can give her warm soaks to help.

Low temps were probably a contributing factor- they really prefer 82-85ish overall and are OK with cooler night temps and a warmer area.

If you can post a photo of your set-up, we may also be able to help advise you on that as well.

BigPavelski8

5 Year Member
Toronto,Canada
RFs are picky eaters, I am still learning what my little guy likes and doesn't like. I have been feeding him variety of red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, zucchini. For fruits he likes mango and strawberries. Boiled chicken as a bi-weekly protein source.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
BigPavelski8 said:
RFs are picky eaters, I am still learning what my little guy likes and doesn't like. I have been feeding him variety of red leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, zucchini. For fruits he likes mango and strawberries. Boiled chicken as a bi-weekly protein source.

Wow, not mine! I think they'd eat anything that didn't eat them first, LOL.

I try not to feed mine the same thing 2 days in a row. We have a good variety of weeds, grape leaves, and flowers. Once every other week they get mazuri, and the other week they get the ZooMed Forest Tort food. I keep some organic spring mix for odd snacks for them.

For fruit they get strawberries (wild ones growing in the yard), they get a piece of banana every couple of months, and sometimes a little piece of apple. For protein, they like shrimp, water packed sardines, some egg (from our free range chickens).

The only thing I found they didn't care much for was a rose, but I gave it to them after breakfast, so they probably weren't too hungry.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My experience and research with RFs indicates that for the most part, they are a pretty easy-to-feed animal... with a few caveats.

1. They don't eat when it is too cool, too hot, or too dry. I always know to check things if they don't rush to the food dish.
2. They change their preferences, probably because the diet they evolved to eat was always changing. They may love strawberries for months, then stop eating them period for a while. One big reason we harp on 'variety'.
3. They often experience a mid-winter 'slow down' where they become less active and don't eat as much.
4. When they are feeling full, they generally stop and digest for a while. Not eating may be a sign they got too much recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.