Red footed tortoise escaped in my backyard (not fenced!)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Are there any local children who could crawl around your garden and feel under plants and bushes in case Bubblegum has partly buried himself in the ground? Maybe if you could offer a small reward to whoever finds him ?
Good luck
Angie
Sorry, I got mixed up - I mean Joy

TortoiseLearner

Location (City and/or State)
Clearwater
Are there any local children who could crawl around your garden and feel under plants and bushes in case Bubblegum has partly buried himself in the ground? Maybe if you could offer a small reward to whoever finds him ?
Good luck
Angie
Dear Angie,
I live in this neighborhood for more than 3 years and have never see any kids around...everyone in my neighborhood except my husband and I are seniors, seems like for me is, they retired for many years and moved to a nice, beautiful area and away from their children...only thing we could do and did now is send flyers to our neighbors and made a yard sign, also contacted the local animal shelter & rescues. Finger cross for Joy.

TortoiseLearner

Clearwater
Tortoise cuddling is a whole different thing that mammals cuddling.
Tortoises do it out of aggression. Essentially with the more subtle species such as RF. Aggression may be hard to see. Unless you know what to look for.
He may have escaped out of the need to get away and get his own territory.
Any two tortoises kept in that relatively small enclosure would have issues with each other.
Tortoises are solitary creatures. Not pack animals like we humans.
I truly wish I know this information before Joy escaped, only thing I am happy with now is Joy is a big boy, he at least didn’t get harmed from Bubblegum before he escaped (no blood or fighting signs in the enclosure or nearby area). If I could successfully get Joy back, I will definitely separate Joy and Bubblegum, we have relatively big yard with lots of nice shades(this also why so difficult for us to find him)...so I will build a large and comfortable habitat for Joy. The temperature and humidity is perfect for red footed tortoise in my area, so I don’t worry about his life threatening, I just worry I cannot find him back...he is one of my biggest emotional support partner, I love to talk with him and tickle his foot. I have pray for him a lot lately and keep trying anything could possibly work. 🙏🙏🙏

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Oh Dear, I completely believe you that tortoise don’t like to live as pair. I just so shocked of Bubblegum could possibly bullying Joy since he is a lot lot lot bigger than her 😳. Joy’s size is like a volleyball and Bubblegum’s size is like a hamburger.

I definitely think it is true Joy doesn’t like Bubblegum, because he starts to escape after I put Bubblegum together with him. I do think of separate them if I get luck to find him back...😔 he being missing for more than 48 hours now and I look around my backyard everyday...but it is little difficult for me to lower my body and crawl like a tortoise to check very closely under the bushes because I have 30 weeks pregnant belly. Lol.
You may find the size difference is due to being kept as a pair, as there is often a larger more dominant tortoise. It would be interesting to know how they get on living separately, and if Bubblegum grows/puts on weight. Sending good wishes to you, and I hope you find Joy soon - a stressful time I am sure!

TortoiseLearner

Clearwater
You may find the size difference is due to being kept as a pair, as there is often a larger more dominant tortoise. It would be interesting to know how they get on living separately, and if Bubblegum grows/puts on weight. Sending good wishes to you, and I hope you find Joy soon - a stressful time I am sure!
Thanks a lot for comforting 🙏 everyone is soooo kind here, I deeply appreciate all of you❤️ Hopefully he didn’t travel too far, and could still be around somewhere in our neighborhood 🙏🙏

g4mobile

5 Year Member
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks a lot for comforting 🙏 everyone is soooo kind here, I deeply appreciate all of you❤️ Hopefully he didn’t travel too far, and could still be around somewhere in our neighborhood 🙏🙏
It looks like you have plenty of space in your yard. I would increase his enclosure considerably. 7ft is small for a 12" tortoise. I hope you find your redfoot and please come back with updates.

TortoiseLearner

Clearwater
It looks like you have plenty of space in your yard. I would increase his enclosure considerably. 7ft is small for a 12" tortoise. I hope you find your redfoot and please come back with updates.
Yes...my backyard is very large...and completely not fenced...also have so many so many woods and bush plants around the yard...make the search become very difficult 😭 I will definitely keep updating! I feel very bad that I didn’t give him the best care, I wish he could give me another chance to be his owner & friend ❤️🙏

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes...my backyard is very large...and completely not fenced...also have so many so many woods and bush plants around the yard...make the search become very difficult 😭 I will definitely keep updating! I feel very bad that I didn’t give him the best care, I wish he could give me another chance to be his owner & friend ❤️🙏
You have done your best for them based upon what you believed was right. Don't upset yourself because you didn't know some things. Good luck and stay positive and keep us updated!

TortoiseLearner

Clearwater
Update May 28th:

Hi Everyone!! Joy is found by our neighbor!! He was in front of her trash can, and seems like he was trying to get some food! Oh my, she is super nice and she doesn’t want any cash reward, I should cook a great dish share with her (I wish I know how to bake a cake)!! I am starting build a outdoor habitat for Joy! Before that, I have to let him stay inside temporarily.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Update May 28th:

Hi Everyone!! Joy is found by our neighbor!! He was in front of her trash can, and seems like he was trying to get some food! Oh my, she is super nice and she doesn’t want any cash reward, I should cook a great dish share with her (I wish I know how to bake a cake)!! I am starting build a outdoor habitat for Joy! Before that, I have to let him stay inside temporarily.
Oh, that's wonderful - You must be so happy. Now you have that second chance to make things right for him that you wanted !
Please stay in touch with the forum - there are lots of kind and helpful people here, who can give you proper advice - and moral support if you have problems.
Best wishes from Angie x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second and third this. The enclosure is much too small for a single RF let alone if you have two in there. Even a very small Russian tort needs a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure.
A proper sized enclosure and not living in a pair, may help your tort not want to get away. They are living a very dangerous stressful life being stuck together in a small space.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
My Joy is a 12” male red-footed tortoise, he escaped this afternoon around 6:30–8:00pm...the weather was raining and day started to get dark.

My husband and I hold a flashlight on our phone, and looked around everywhere in our backyard(completely not fenced), even some part of our opening neighbors’ backyard, but unfortunately we cannot find him. His disappearance was like a mystery to us. Really worried and cannot go sleep. What should I do? The non-fenced backyard is big, and have many bushes.
you should work on your enclosure, it looks escapable ....... if they can get on top of the box with the shingle looking roof , the rest of the way out is easy ........ they tend to go for corners and can use each other as a step to get a higher grip .............. an overhang works best , imo ........

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
So glad you got Joy back! Now to set them both up properly in their separate, larger and more secure enclosures!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Update May 28th:

Fantastic.
See?
These do usually have happy endings

bbarcus

IL
I think I am not getting through to you as I would like to, because you believe that they like each other's company, and that is just not so, and each one will always be unhappy. This is not nice to think about, because we mammals are social and enjoy each other's company. But reptiles do not, and especially tortoises, which in pairs will either bully or be cowed. Maybe this is a reason for the escapes. They each need their own spacious, mostly shady and secure enclosure. Good luck, I really hope you get Joy back! I can see that you are a caring owner. @ZEROPILOT .
Redfoots in the wild can be seen in packs and even eating together. I disagree that especially tortoises don't. I feel like they don't care either way if they aren't territorial.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoots in the wild can be seen in packs and even eating together. I disagree that especially tortoises don't. I feel like they don't care either way if they aren't territorial.
Some Redfoot are extremely territorial.
And no Redfoot is ever "happy" to see another.
Groups of RF will often spread out the aggression. So that no one tortoise takes the brunt of the bullying. Especially if food is abundant.
I've had harmonious groups before.
But pairs are never without issues.