Red-footed tortoise outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hi guys, I just want to share Red-footed tortoise's outdoor enclosure. This is in our mini zen garden, I bought a couple of plastic fences from a hardware store and clipped those together, and I got a custom-made cave/hide which is huge so that it can be practically used until my tortoise gets bigger and older in the far future. I also added rubber matting which isn't in the photo, the intention of the rubber matting was to avoid the tortoise from having direct contact with the tiles which can be very cold especially at night.

As much as I would love to use soil as a natural substrate, I'm not allowed to put the soil on the tiles of our zen garden. Mayo has been in this outdoor enclosure for more than a year now, she's very happy with her home, I can tell that because she eats her greens and plants regularly. She's not even picky with the food I offer, whenever I go near the enclosure with food on my hand, she would just crawl out of the cave and wait for me to provide her the food. :)

Attachments

• Mayo 4.jpg
    Mayo 4.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 186
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 267

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Zik (is that what you want us to call you?):

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Very nice little habitat, but its too bad you can't add substrate. I'm sure little Mayo would appreciate being able to walk on a substrate as well as dig down into it.

I'm sure the RF tortoises do very well in the Philipines. Nice weather for them.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
Yep, I'm pretty much used to being called by that name. Thank you for your warm welcome EmysEmys.

Yeah I totally agree, Mayo would definitely love having a more natural habitat. One of the reasons why I picked an RF to keep is because our country's weather is almost perfect for RF tortoises. I'm hoping and planning to build a wooden square-shaped fence for Mayo in the future so that I can provide her a habitat with soil as the substrate, that'll surely make her happier.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Welcome to the forum Zik. That cave is fantastic!! I wish I could find something like that here. I love it!

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
terryo said:
Welcome to the forum Zik. That cave is fantastic!! I wish I could find something like that here. I love it!

Thank you for the warm welcome and the compliment on the cave. :) I got it for roughly around $90. An acquaintance of mine makes them and you can request what specific dimensions you want. Wish you can find someone like him there, a sculptor/artist that can make one for you.

tortadise said:

Thank you Tortadise, much appreciated, buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.