Red footed tortoise white shell & legs

Annak999

Location (City and/or State)
West Babylon, NY
Hi everyone! We've had our tortoise for almost two years. Today I noticed her arms and legs (is that what they're called on a tortoise?!) are white! Her shell has some white spots on it also. It was not like this yesterday. It seemed to happen out of nowhere. We keep her tank at about 80 degrees F, humidity around 60, we have an artificial sun source. She has a mister and heat lamp. I'm reading this could be shell rot, but on her legs also?! Any ideas? I'm worried, wondering if I need to bring her to a vet. She's acting normally, eating and going in her water.

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_225637027.jpg
    PXL_20210427_225637027.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20210427_225930589.jpg
    PXL_20210427_225930589.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I dont think your humidity is correct. The tort and the substrate I can see looks very dry.
Your tort also has mbd metabolic bone disease.
By looks of things the enclosure looks way to small.
Post a pic of the enclosure and list diet and what you use for uvb and heat.
Was this a hatchling when you got it?

Annak999

West Babylon, NY
I dont think your humidity is correct. The tort and the substrate I can see looks very dry.
Your tort also has mbd metabolic bone disease.
By looks of things the enclosure looks way to small.
Post a pic of the enclosure and list diet and what you use for uvb and heat.
Was this a hatchling when you got it?
The bedding is dry at this point of day in this section, the spot light heat bulb is hanging over this area. The lamp is on for about 10 hours, if I see it's too hot, it gets shut off. I do actually mist the bedding when I change the water bowl, but that's usually earlier in the day. Uvb Is Zilla fluorescent tropical fixture. We got the tortoise from a reptile store, they didn't tell us how recently she had hatched. She's almost two years old. Honestly, the tortoise always looks much better than this. This was such a quick turn to looking dry, which had me concerned. I did make her appointment at a vet. She's in a 60 gallon tank; we're looking at our options for a larger home but trying to figure out how to keep her at a good humidity. I'm wondering about the humidity - we were told between 50-70%. Is that too low?! She eats leafy greens, mostly dandelion greens. Some fruits (apple, pear, strawberries) tomato, the occasional hard boiled egg or cooked turkey or chicken. We tried meal worms but she refused. Also, we have a mister in the tank that runs for 6 hours at a time, I put it on two to three times a day.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Anna, and welcome to the Forum!

You've come to the right place to learn the correct care for your redfoot tortoise (Gechelone carbonaria). We have a couple real good care sheets pinned towards the top of our redfoot section for you to read.

In the meantime, to address your concern about the white areas on the tortoise. - Wellington hit on it : he's being kept too dry. What you're seeing is the results of a rainforest tortoise who is forced to live in a desert.

Pour a pitcherful of water over that substrate and mix it up with your hand to get all the little pieces moistened. Add some plants, either real or fake. This species of tortoise comes from the rain forest in South America, and he's used to living in warm (80-85°F), humid (80-90%) conditions all the time, day and night. You may need to get a bigger container to fit in the plants. You can by a fairly large (floor space, not tall sides) plastic bin pretty cheaply.

I don't think it's shell rot , but I'd need clearer pictures to be certain.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, @ZEROPILOT can advise further.
But as Yvonne also mentioned its much too dry.
Please read the caresheets Yvonne mentioned and make needed improvements.
You can also search for popup greenhouses for an enclosure. Many sizes to choose from. Get as big as possible as they need lots of room indoor and out.

Annak999

West Babylon, NY
Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look at the care sheets and speed up the search for a bigger home for her.
I appreciate the tips; thank you for your help!