Red-footed torts in Hong Kong

Beep-Beep

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hola All,

Following some long - sometimes fastidious desk research and window shopping in Hong Kong - I finally purchased 3 days back two cute little juvenile red-footed.
Much reading indicated those little fellows were probably the most suitable for a first-timer leaving in a sub-tropical climate.
They are tiny, standing proud at 67gr for the male and 68gr for the female ! I had studied the moustache-thing and tail-thingy at their butts.

Winters are short and mild here. I estimate that 2 winters from now Dumb & Dumber will be living the high life on the terrace, full time.
Today there are cozily adapting to their new home in a cement mixer type of plastic box, no artificial light or heat required for the time being.

I'm a complete first-timer with turtles, although I did have an iguana some 20 yrs back, left to my parents when I moved to Asia. I have forgotten it all and now starting all over from scratch.
So much to learn...

Key concern is of course diet. I've started feeding them mixed greens and a tiny dose of fruits (thumb nail dose of papaya or mango) + half a tea spoon of the tortoise grains packed with vitamins and such. My wife loves hibiscuses, so we have a few of those, and I have fed them one flower every over day for dessert.
I'm actually planning to feed them once every over day. As much as they want within, let's say, 30 min.
Is that OK?
Out of enclosure additional 20 min daily bath included for free.

we have a big terrace and balcony with plenty of direct sunlight but it does get hot, up to 35~37C .
Created some shaded space, added a hiding place and water dish to soak in. We also give a good misting in the morning. Unfortunately both my wife and I are out all day.
Will be monitoring.

Enough rambling, here is a pic of "Dumb" , dealing with a white hibiscus flower. "Dumber" was being prepped for a bath... Full family pic on a different thread, eventually.

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Attachments

• tort.jpg
    tort.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 20

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
I meant "living in a sub-tropical climate", not "leaving"
Can't find the edit button anymore , ha !

Korall

Sweden
I meant "living in a sub-tropical climate", not "leaving"
Can't find the edit button anymore , ha !

The redfoots typically like humid and warm environments.
Tortoises should not be kept in pairs as they are solitary animals and often fight or similar with each other.

Korall

Sweden
Hola All,

Following some long - sometimes fastidious desk research and window shopping in Hong Kong - I finally purchased 3 days back two cute little juvenile red-footed.
Much reading indicated those little fellows were probably the most suitable for a first-timer leaving in a sub-tropical climate.
They are tiny, standing proud at 67gr for the male and 68gr for the female ! I had studied the moustache-thing and tail-thingy at their butts.

Winters are short and mild here. I estimate that 2 winters from now Dumb & Dumber will be living the high life on the terrace, full time.
Today there are cozily adapting to their new home in a cement mixer type of plastic box, no artificial light or heat required for the time being.

I'm a complete first-timer with turtles, although I did have an iguana some 20 yrs back, left to my parents when I moved to Asia. I have forgotten it all and now starting all over from scratch.
So much to learn...

Key concern is of course diet. I've started feeding them mixed greens and a tiny dose of fruits (thumb nail dose of papaya or mango) + half a tea spoon of the tortoise grains packed with vitamins and such. My wife loves hibiscuses, so we have a few of those, and I have fed them one flower every over day for dessert.
I'm actually planning to feed them once every over day. As much as they want within, let's say, 30 min.
Is that OK?
Out of enclosure additional 20 min daily bath included for free.

we have a big terrace and balcony with plenty of direct sunlight but it does get hot, up to 35~37C .
Created some shaded space, added a hiding place and water dish to soak in. We also give a good misting in the morning. Unfortunately both my wife and I are out all day.
Will be monitoring.

Enough rambling, here is a pic of "Dumb" , dealing with a white hibiscus flower. "Dumber" was being prepped for a bath... Full family pic on a different thread, eventually.

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

You should probably read this as it is your first tortoise:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Thx for sharing Korall,
Just read it, pity all links within that thread are dead tho !

The potential for fights was a concern but the red-foot tortoise is apparently considered the "social" breed. The link you provided gives a similar piece of info. I shall see.
If Dumb & Dumber turn out to be hot-tempered, a double enclosure is not a problem. Alternatively, I could glue each on a distant rock...

No worries about humidity levels in HK. In theory, it is smack where it should be for a red-foot.
Summers are sticky wet. It's very much like breathing through a wet cotton pad !

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Beep-Beep, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Dumb and Dumber.:)
I have tried the gluing them to a rock bit. It's okay in theory, but they tend to get slightly annoyed.
Seriously, pairs don't seem to work, even 'friendly' behaviour like cuddling up together is territorial bullying and there is a risk of physical and psychological damage. When they talk about redfoots being more social and living together they are referring to groups, which can work, especially with this species, but pairs, i'm afraid not.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would feed daily and be aware at their size sex is nowhere near possible to determine. Hatchlings should always be fed 1-2 times a day at least until they're full grown or close.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

Redfooted tortoises seem to be the exception to the rule. You may be able to get along having two RF tortoises in one enclosure, but be vigilant. If one seems to not grow as fast as the other, or is hiding most of the time, it's time to add an enclosure and separate them.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Thx All for the excellent advise.
One last question, and a fairly important one at that !

Upon purchasing Dumb & Dumber I had been told red-footed torts were among the very few breeds which tend not to bask in the sunlight to maintain their levels of vitamin d3.
I, maybe naively, interpreted this as "they will be happy under any natural light as long as temp and humidity are within their liking". In other words, a hot or warm sub-tropical cloudy day will keep the little fellows smiling. Is that true, or over-simplification from my end ?
As a final note, they are outdoor for the time being, 24HRS a day.

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you feed them the occasional animal protein, then, yes, they do get some vit. d3 from their food. I still like to have a UVB light for at least an hour each day.