red foots attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
i havent posted in a week been upset my 3 baby red foots decided to fight with eachother one night i woke up last friday and put food in there dish then went off to work. i cane home later that night and checked on them all 3 were dead :( i dontno if something got into there cage and tryed eating them or maybe they nipped eachother to death. so this whole week ive been trying to locate some more baby red foots but the more i looked i decided to hold out untill todays canadian reptiles breeders expo and i ended up coming home with a sulcata:) this will be my last post on the red foot section thanks everyone for all the tips

81SHOVELHEAD

5 Year Member
Galveston TX
Sorry to here about your lost ,
Never heard of redfoots fighting to death .
Sounds to me like you got some awful critter roaming around preying on Tortoises .
Mike D.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That is so sad. It is especially difficult when you can not put a for sure cause to such a terrible event.

I will say, congrats on your sulcata :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's too bad about the baby redfoots. Did you see injuries on them? Were they bloodied? They didn't kill each other, I'm certain as I can be about that. If they were bloodied and chewed, then a critter came onto your property and killed them. If they were intact, then it sounds like they were maybe poisoned or maybe got too cold.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is terribly sad. I know you likely have already examined all around their enclosure to see what signs you can possibly locate, racoon tracks etc, as you will have the new sulcata?

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
I am so sorry - that's awful. But I like how you got something that should be able to take care of itself when it grows up. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
While tortoises can and do fight, they fight to over turn the other tortoise, most tortoise fight deaths are from being turned over and not being able to right themselves. I would say something got into your guy's enclosure and killed them. Sorry to hear about it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Ants? if it was a racoon, they would be missing or in pieces..
find out what caused that Before bringing anything else home...
Birds?

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
my sully wont be out side for a bit because he is only 4 months old but next year we are going to dig 3 feet down and lay down concrete then cover it with dirt and grass and put a chain link fence so nothing can get in or out attatched to a shed so this does not happen again

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
So sorry to hear about your loss. What a horrible thing!!

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
yes it made me very angery but a new tortoise came alone and i love it i hope i have better luck im going to be way more careful

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It might be the work of rodents. The breeder of my Gpp has a picture of a ground squirrel eating a Gpp hatchling like a Big Mac. Chain link won't stop rodents.

Status
Not open for further replies.