Red Foots, Possible Shell Rot on Plastrons?

nootnootbu

Location (City and/or State)
USA
That's what I use for my Russian boy, but I read these are bad to use for the red foots due to the need for higher humidity because the CHE saps a lot of the moisture out of the enclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
ANY of the twisted, spiralled compact coiled florescent bulbs need to be removed.
The difference not broadcast useful uvb across the enclosure and instead put out more of a pinpoint beam that often causes tortoise eye issues and blindness.
Do a forum search and read some of the horror stories.
These are common pet shop uvb bulbs.
All horrible 20200224_115946.jpg20200130_110441.jpg20200130_110436.jpg
I say "If it screws in, it's not a suitable UVB bulb for a tortoise".

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's what I use for my Russian boy, but I read these are bad to use for the red foots due to the need for higher humidity because the CHE saps a lot of the moisture out of the enclosure?
A CHE does that too.
But when you use dampened Orchid bark as a substrate, it gives off high humidity as it evaporates.
It's a win-win.

nootnootbu

USA
ANY of the twisted, spiralled compact coiled florescent bulbs need to be removed.
The difference not broadcast useful uvb across the enclosure and instead put out more of a pinpoint beam that often causes tortoise eye issues and blindness.
Do a forum search and read some of the horror stories.
These are common pet shop uvb bulbs.
All horrible View attachment 320946View attachment 320947View attachment 320948
I say "If it screws in, it's not a suitable UVB bulb for a tortoise".
Yeah, it's the bottom one they came with, a repti sun. It's not super bright, but a soft blue glow. It seems to cast a pretty broad area of light, but if it can blind them, I don't want that. It produces a light that looks soft and diffuce like a florescent bulb does, where the round one and coiled ones both put out a much more glaring bright light I have noticed. Between all my torts they have come with every type of bulb possible. I do also have a hood light with the long reptile bulb, but the bulb is blown.

If those are better, then I will get them for everyone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah, it's the bottom one they came with, a repti sun. It's not super bright, but a soft blue glow. It seems to cast a pretty broad area of light, but if it can blind them, I don't want that. It produces a light that looks soft and diffuce like a florescent bulb does, where the round one and coiled ones both put out a much more glaring bright light I have noticed. Between all my torts they have come with every type of bulb possible. I do also have a hood light with the long reptile bulb, but the bulb is blown.

If those are better, then I will get them for everyone.
Not only is a T5 HO UVB tube better. I'd use nothing at all before I'd place a coiled CFL above any of my tortoises.
By the way, if you can let them outside in partial sunlight (so they don't overheat) for maybe 30 minutes a few times a week, you can go without a supplemental uvb light and just use a regular household florescent or LED just for soft visual light.

nootnootbu

USA
Not only is a T5 HO UVB tube better. I'd use nothing at all before I'd place a coiled CFL above any of my tortoises.
By the way, if you can let them outside in partial sunlight (so they don't overheat) for maybe 30 minutes a few times a week, you can go without a supplemental uvb light and just use a regular household florescent or LED just for soft visual light.
I will get the long bulbs and in the meantime, I can give them some outdoor time. We are sitting around a pleasant 65-80 during the day right now.

nootnootbu

USA
I got these guys for free off of craigslist, so, naturally, I expected some problems.
They are vibrant, bright eyed, eating machines. They are energetic and playful almost like puppies!
They're approximately 1 year old.
The substrate they came in was SUPER wet. I have put them on some dryer substrate.
Can someone tell me from these pictures if this is shell rot or just shedding?

View attachment 320901View attachment 320902View attachment 320903View attachment 320904

Updated pictures on Day 3 of treatment for anyone who wanted an update :)

abellyday3.jpgabellyday32.jpgabellyday33.jpgabellyday34.jpg