Red Foots, Possible Shell Rot on Plastrons?

nootnootbu

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I got these guys for free off of craigslist, so, naturally, I expected some problems.
They are vibrant, bright eyed, eating machines. They are energetic and playful almost like puppies!
They're approximately 1 year old.
The substrate they came in was SUPER wet. I have put them on some dryer substrate.
Can someone tell me from these pictures if this is shell rot or just shedding?

aredfootbabybelly1.jpgaredfootbabybelly2.jpgaredfootbabybelly3.jpgaredfootbabybelly4.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes.
It's shell fungus.
(Not shell rot)
Place a smear of over the counter ATHLETES FOOT CREAM on those areas once a day for 2 weeks.
You can use a plastic knife or a wooden popsicle stick to remove some of the waxy material. But it's not really mandatory.
That'll stop it.
The scars will take much longer to fade away. But they will.
BTW, if those are a year old, they're very small

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Yes.
It's shell fungus.
(Not shell rot)
Place a smear of over the counter ATHLETES FOOT CREAM on those areas once a day for 2 weeks.
That'll stop it.
The acars will take much longer to fade away. But they will.
BTW, if those are a year old, they're half the size they should be.

Well, we were responding at the same time! Fastest tag response ever! ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Shell rot is a bacterial infection that can be from advanced shell fungus or any other infected injury.
True shell rot can't be corrected by an anti fungal agent and would require a totally different type of treatment.
This is just a classic shell fungus.
The two words get mixed around regularly. But they are not even close to being the same issue.

nootnootbu

USA
Yes.
It's shell fungus.
(Not shell rot)
You can use a plastic knife or a wooden popsicle stick to remove some of the waxy material. But it's not really mandatory.
That'll stop it.
Thank you very much for the info. They are super tiny and feel a little fragile. I gave them a cuttlebone and they're going to town on it. I don't think former owner was giving calcium supplement due to the enthusiasm with which they chew on the cuttlebone. I also got three sulcatas from the same person, and they have already eaten half of their cuttlebone.

I will stop by tomorrow to get them the cream. Is there a certain chemical I should look for?

nootnootbu

USA
Yes.
It's shell fungus.
(Not shell rot)
That'll stop it.
One more question, do I leave the cream on them, or do I need to wipe or rinse it off after a few minutes before I return them to the enclosure?

nootnootbu

USA
Any athlete's foot cream will work. If you go to Walmart I think they have an Equate brand...it's a little cheaper. Any will do the job.
Do I leave the cream on them, or rinse them off after?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you very much for the info. They are super tiny and feel a little fragile. I gave them a cuttlebone and they're going to town on it. I don't think former owner was giving calcium supplement due to the enthusiasm with which they chew on the cuttlebone. I also got three sulcatas from the same person, and they have already eaten half of their cuttlebone.

I will stop by tomorrow to get them the cream. Is there a certain chemical I should look for?
Just get the athlete foot cream, it will fix your problem. I would also keep them on newspaper or paper towels while they need the creme. Wait, you got 3 Sulcata?????? For free? You'd better explain that to me...Do you have enough room to house 3 bulldozers? They need separate quarters. What state do you live in? Is it sunny for the Sulcata, with grazing and weeds? Concentrate on feeding a varied diet and those supplements are not necessary and you can give too much calcium. Sulcata all need separate housing, and you shouldn't keep Redfoots and Sulcata together

nootnootbu

USA
I am not keeping the red foots with the sulcatas. The sulcatas are still babies and are in their own 8ft by 6ft enclosure. I'm also planning to give them yard time. We are in Georgia, so they will be good for outdoor time about 9-10 months of the year. The sulcatas have to be separated from each other? At about what age? They're only 2 now and gender isn't yet determined.
Just get the athlete foot cream, it will fix your problem. I would also keep them on newspaper or paper towels while they need the creme. Wait, you got 3 Sulcata?????? For free? You'd better explain that to me...Do you have enough room to house 3 bulldozers? They need separate quarters. What state do you live in? Is it sunny for the Sulcata, with grazing and weeds? Concentrate on feeding a varied diet and those supplements are not necessary and you can give too much calcium. Sulcata all need separate housing, and you shouldn't keep Redfoots and Sulcata together

nootnootbu

USA
As for how it happened, I put an add on craigslist that I was looking for a tortoise.
I already had one little Russian boy, and I had the time for some more, because really, all I do is work, then go home and watch TV. I found that having my daily routine with my Russian really made me a lot happier and gave me something to look forward to every day, so I figured it would be nice to have another tort or two.
I didn't expect someone to contact me with that many at once.
She said she had 4 tiny red foots (and they are super tiny) and TWO Sulcata.
When I asked her about the rehoming fee, she said, she would rather I put the money into their care.
The day comes to pick them up, and it's Three Sulcatas, instead of two.
Now, I'm planning to move in the next 1-3 years, and one of my priorities for my new home will be a big yard, which I plan to build a very large area for the sulcatas with appropriate submerged concrete fencing.

While, I was a little bit unprepared for the sudden tort pile, I love them very much, and I have done a ton of research already, and will do lots more. I might be new to these two varieties, but I will ensure they are cared for and loved properly.

nootnootbu

USA
Also, about the calcium, she was only feeding the sulcatas lettuce and hay, so I think they do need the calcium. I'd be surprised if she was feeding the red foots any better. Everything I have read says to provide cuttlebone and most torts will self regulate with those.
As for the powder salad topping, I only do that once a week, but have read I maybe should do it more often for growing babies?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, about the calcium, she was only feeding the sulcatas lettuce and hay, so I think they do need the calcium. I'd be surprised if she was feeding the red foots any better. Everything I have read says to provide cuttlebone and most torts will self regulate with those.
As for the powder salad topping, I only do that once a week, but have read I maybe should do it more often for growing babies?
Redfoot will get the majority of their calcium from a correct and varied diet along with a good UVB light source.
Such as this 20200219_145404.jpg
You can also use outdoors sunlight. But DO NOT use any of those screw in MVB or coiled CFL bulbs that most pet shops sell!
You need an ambient temperature of 80 to 86.
Humidity of over 75%.
And lots of hiding spots with no harsh, bright lights.
Redfoot and Sulcata enclosures, foods and other requirements are very different.

nootnootbu

USA
Redfoot will get the majority of their calcium from a correct and varied diet along with a good UVB light source.
Such as this View attachment 320943
You can also use outdoors sunlight. But DO NOT use any of those screw in MVB or coiled CFL bulbs that most pet shops sell!
You need an ambient temperature of 80 to 86.
Humidity of over 75%.
And lots of hiding spots with no harsh, bright lights.
Right now, I'm using a reptile specific black bulb for heat, and the UV bulb they came with is one of the repti sun bulbs that's configured sort of like a fork? It gives off a soft blue glow and I turn it off at night. They didn't come with a basking rock or any kind of hides, and their previous heat source was one of those bright halogen bulbs. I swapped it immediately for the black heat bulb. I will get them some hides asap.

I also gave them a very small, very shallow terracotta water dish, is this acceptable, or should I remove it while I treat their fungus?

I'm feeding them a diet of varied greens and fruits, like some apples and strawberry, and also giving them a protein day once a week as well as daily soaks.

During fungus treatment, is it okay for the humidity to be down a little due to the lack of substrate? In Georgia, our natural humidity is often fairly high

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Right now, I'm using a reptile specific black bulb for heat, and the UV bulb they came with is one of the repti sun bulbs that's configured sort of like a fork? It gives off a soft blue glow and I turn it off at night. They didn't come with a basking rock or any kind of hides, and their previous heat source was one of those bright halogen bulbs. I swapped it immediately for the black heat bulb. I will get them some hides asap.

I also gave them a very small, very shallow terracotta water dish, is this acceptable, or should I remove it while I treat their fungus?

I'm feeding them a diet of varied greens and fruits, like some apples and strawberry, and also giving them a protein day once a week as well as daily soaks.

During fungus treatment, is it okay for the humidity to be down a little due to the lack of substrate? In Georgia, our natural humidity is often fairly high
Lower humidity for 2 weeks is going to be ok.
Those black bulbs can provide heat for you for now. Since you already bought them. When they burn out, use CHE instead. They're much more reliable and actually seem to last forever too!20200131_082139.jpg