Red line near face?? (nose and eye)

oxyjjiin

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hello!! I’m so sorry if im posting in the wrong place or wrong way, but this website is a little confusing to navigate ?

My tortoise (I don’t know the exact species, but if I had to make an educated guess I would say Russian) (I also have no idea what gender he is) just got this red line that goes from near the top of his head to near the bottom of his eye (avoids the eye) it looks a bit raised and maybe tacky??

My dude seems completely okay right now, he’s eating like he always does and doesn’t seem affected at all so I’m not worried about pain (I hope). He just got out from sleeping under his water bowl (this was a first, but he likes to dig so I didn’t think anything of it) and walked over to where his food was like he normally does, and I notice the red line on him.

Should I be concerned?? Should I try to clean it off of him? What if he doesn’t let me, what then?? Should I bring him to the vet? If so how much would it be?

Again, sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place or way, I just thought this was a good ish place to start!!

A54DA328-5FAD-4C72-9916-962448DA3677.jpegA07DF973-8B97-44FC-B9C7-6C30DDCD96FF.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Tough to say what we are looking at from those pics to be honest.

Can we see more pics of your tortoise, the whole carrapace from above, one of the plastron and also a couple more pics of its head from front and sides, and if you dont mind show us the enclosure as well. The best place to take photos like this is in a room with bright ambient natural light but not in direct sunlight. Window sills are usually good for this as long as the light source isnt direct.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't see anything in those pictures, but my GUESS is that he has bumped his head and caused a little split between those scales. It's probably nothing to worry about, but you can dab on a bit of Neosporin if you want.