Red Mark on Shell, Maybe a Bruise? Should I Take Him to the Vet?

Kelly.324

Location (City and/or State)
Durham UK
Hi,

So, I accidentally dropped the spray bottle on my little tortoise on Sunday (I felt awful). I was crouched down so it wasn’t too high above him, a couple of feet at most. Also, there wasn’t a lot of water in it at all so it wasn’t very heavy.
However, today, I’ve noticed this little red mark appear on his shell. I think it’s the same place the water bottle hit him but I’m not 100% sure.
After it hit him he seemed ok, freaked out a bit and ran to his hide but after a few minutes he was back to his normal, greedy, self.

Is this just a bruise that will heal on its own or should I be more worried? The colour concerns me and I’m not sure if it’s normal or if I should take him to the vets?

Any advice? I’m really stressing over this and just feel awful!

Thank you so much IMG_8309.jpgIMG_8310.jpgIMG_8311.jpgIMG_8312.jpgIMG_8313.jpg

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I saw a similar post awhile back and a long-time member with lots of experience dealing with sick and injured torts said that it should heal up just fine. Don't beat yourself up too much :)

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thanks, the mark hasn’t gotten any bigger or changes colour today.
However, I’ve looked at the under side of his shell and I’m worried it looks a bit pink? It couldn’t be an early sign of septicaemia could it?

IMG_8317.jpg

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Could it be septicaemia? I think he’s got a pinkish tinge to him but I’m not sure if I’m being paranoid?

Thanks, sorry if I’m over reacting

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hmmm. I do see that very slight tinge on the right side but I don't think that would happen from your mostly empty spray bottle. Tortoises are pretty tough.
That could be his normal coloring and you just hadn't noticed it before.
I would just keep an eye on it and watch for any behavior changes like lethargy or lack of appetite. I bet he's just fine though :)

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Hmmm. I do see that very slight tinge on the right side but I don't think that would happen from your mostly empty spray bottle. Tortoises are pretty tough.
That could be his normal coloring and you just hadn't noticed it before.
I would just keep an eye on it and watch for any behavior changes like lethargy or lack of appetite. I bet he's just fine though :)

Thanks, I’ve only had him two months. I don’t think it’s his normal colouring but you’re right, maybe I’ve just not noticed before.
He’s still eating and active but I’ll keep a really close eye on him. Might book him in for a check up at the vets to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your advice :)

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
If you do take him to the vet just be careful... lots of stories of vets doing things that are harmful or even fatal to a tortoise. So many of them say they know torts but then they don't. Don't let them give him a vitamin shot!
I would do a quick forum search for any suggested treatments. Or post.

Kelly.324

Durham UK
Thanks, I’ve searched the forum and there are some that have had similar symptoms and it both has and hasn’t been if that makes sense.

Thanks for your advice :)
I’ve started a new thread to query if it’s septicaemia and I’ll phone the vet and see if I can speak to her first before brining him in. And I’ll remember, no vitamin injections!

Kelly.324

Durham UK
That’s exactly what I do, mine prefer to sleep buried in cococoir:)

Mine does usually sleep buried in the coco coir but I’ve found him full on asleep all over the place, in his food bowl quite often (he is a greedy little guy), once in his water dish!, sometimes just in a random corner of his table...it’s a guessing game sometimes haha![emoji23]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Mine does usually sleep buried in the coco coir but I’ve found him full on asleep all over the place, in his food bowl quite often (he is a greedy little guy), once in his water dish!, sometimes just in a random corner of his table...it’s a guessing game sometimes haha![emoji23]
Happy Birthday