Red Sack Under Tail - New Hatchling

herpinderpin

Location (City and/or State)
Bellflower
Hello!

I have a new hatchling of about a month old and I noticed a clear red sack underneath it's tail. Tortoise looks to be moving around normally, but I'm concerned on what this could be. It's eating normally as well. I've searched and found nothing similar to this.

See picture attached. Please help!! 20210903_132712.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello!

I have a new hatchling of about a month old and I noticed a clear red sack underneath it's tail. Tortoise looks to be moving around normally, but I'm concerned on what this could be. It's eating normally as well. I've searched and found nothing similar to this.

See picture attached. Please help!! View attachment 332201
Thats a real bad sign. DT? I don't know what it is, but it shouldn't be there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

herpinderpin

Bellflower
Babies of all species should be soaked daily, and they should be started in a brooder box for the first 7-10 days after hatching. This doesn't help the current baby, but I mention it for future reference.
I will start daily soaks. I really appreciate the quick responses. I hope we can figure this one out. I'm scared. First time caring for hatchlings and so far I have 6.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will start daily soaks. I really appreciate the quick responses. I hope we can figure this one out. I'm scared. First time caring for hatchlings and so far I have 6.
Please give these both a read and come back with any questions. I've started many baby DTs. They are easy if done correctly.

This one is for a different species, but all the same info applies, and it goes into much more detail:

zovick

10 Year Member!
I soak them in warm water twice a week. Should I start doing daily? See below images underneath.

View attachment 332206View attachment 332207
This appears to be a prolapsed bladder or intestine. It most likely needs veterinary intervention by an exotics vet to prevent serious trouble (IE, death of the animal).

You could possibly try using a wet sugar compress to see if that will cause it to shrink in size to the point where you are able to push it back inside the tortoise. If that works, you just have to be sure it doesn't keep happening over and over. Sometimes vets will get these back in and then put a suture inside the animal to keep the prolapsed part in place and prevent recurrences.

Here is the name of my friend, Dr. Laila Proenca, who is an Exotics vet in LA. If you decide to go there, please tell her I sent you.

Laila M. Proença, MV, DVM, MS, PhD

Director of the Exotic Animal Medicine Program

VCA Animal Hospitals, 12401 W. Olympic Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90064, 1 (800) 966-1822

Associate Veterinarian at the Avian & Exotics Department

VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, 1900 S Sepulveda Blvd,

Los Angeles, CA 90025 (310) 473-2951

Good luck!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whatever kind of possible prolapse this is you need to not let it dry out. Keep it moist always. The sugar compress Zovick mention should be like a sugar paste, thick. Set him up in a small box and yo can set that box inside the regular enclosure. Put wet paper towel in the bottom of the little box to help keep the prolapse moist. Keep as much sugar paste on it as possible.

Sensimillia

East Sussex
Am no expert but definitely a prolapse.
Can't remember where I read but they said the chances for a recovery are reduced if the prolapse has been present for more than 24 hours.
I would suggest getting the little guy to a vet asap. Hope all goes well.

Edit: just found this on Tortoise Trust. Emergency Prolapse Treatment.

Last edited:

herpinderpin

Bellflower
Hi all!

I placed the little one in warm water and the sack has shrunk considerably. About 50% smaller. I placed it in its own container (wet paper towel lining) inside the incubator for now. Applied sugar on the exposed area and will check back later tonight. I appreciate everyone's responses and tips. I'm hoping for the best and will keep you all updated.

herpinderpin

Bellflower
Good morning!

The prolapse has almost fully disappeared! I'll continue to apply sugar and isolate this one for another day. I read that I can try to push it back in when it's small enough. Should I make an attempt to push it in? If yes, when?

20210904_092151.jpg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
@zovick will hopefully be able to help you again

zovick

10 Year Member!
Good morning!

The prolapse has almost fully disappeared! I'll continue to apply sugar and isolate this one for another day. I read that I can try to push it back in when it's small enough. Should I make an attempt to push it in? If yes, when?

View attachment 332256
You might be able to gently push this back inside the tortoise if you apply some mineral oil or vaseline around the anal opening. Pushing it with a damp cotton swab or a gloved finger is probably safest. If you can get it back inside the animal, you will still have to watch the tortoise once or twice a day to be sure this doesn't keep happening, because nothing has been done thus far to address the cause of the problem (possible blockage) or to prevent its recurrence (suturing the piece in place). If it does recur, a vet visit is your best course of action.

herpinderpin

Bellflower
Big update! After checking on the little one later in the afternoon yesterday, the prolapsed organ went back into it's shell naturally. I took a closer look and everything looks well. This morning, I placed the little one back into it's enclosure. Tortoise has a normal appetite and is actively walking around. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it for the next few days.

I wanted to express my gratitude for this community for all the help. I was very scared as it is first time caring for hatchlings. I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend. Thank you!!!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Am no expert but definitely a prolapse.
Can't remember where I read but they said the chances for a recovery are reduced if the prolapse has been present for more than 24 hours.
I would suggest getting the little guy to a vet asap. Hope all goes well.

Edit: just found this on Tortoise Trust. Emergency Prolapse Treatment.

Thank you for this excellent article.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Big update! After checking on the little one later in the afternoon yesterday, the prolapsed organ went back into it's shell naturally. I took a closer look and everything looks well. This morning, I placed the little one back into it's enclosure. Tortoise has a normal appetite and is actively walking around. I'll continue to keep a close eye on it for the next few days.

I wanted to express my gratitude for this community for all the help. I was very scared as it is first time caring for hatchlings. I hope you all have a great Labor Day weekend. Thank you!!!
Please keep soaking that baby daily! Straining of some sort must have been behind the prolapse to begin with. Better hydration will hopefully prevent future problems.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I would be sure to house this one by itself. No need for added stress.
So glad it worked out.