Red spot on arm, bruise or other?

cherplunka

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Hi Everyone,

I was putting coconut oil on my tort when I noticed this red spot on her arm. I was wondering if it looks like a bruise from her redecorating the tank the other day or if it's an infection of some sort. Pictures of her and her current enclosure attached. -- Sidenote: I say she, cause she was temped for female, but if she's starting to look like a male let me know!

Diet:
* Mixed weeds
* Endive
* Mazure LS
* Dandelion greens
* Spring mix
* Cat grass
* Occasional nopales and flowers
* calcium once or twice a week, vitamin A once a week, always has cuddle bone

Tank:
* Left: flood incandescent, along with Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO, usually will get in high 90's daytime on this side with about 80 humidity
* Right: Temp controlled CHE set to 80, gets about 95 humidity on this side
* Bioactive with oakleaves, cork bark, isopods (dairy cows and montenegros), mostly coco coir with some reptibark mixed in.

RedSpots.jpg
Plastron.jpgShell.jpgTank.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How'big is that tank? There doesn't seem to be a lot of walking space. If they don't have enough room to walk and build muscle strength they soon will not be able to walk right.
Also that water dish is a drowning hazard and too high sided for most torts comfort. Get rid of it for a low sided clay saucer one that's big enough for her to fit all the way into.
As for the red spot, looks like nothing to worry about. However if it will make you feel better, put some neosporin on it and just keep an eye on it.
Is it possible some of the bugs you named are biting him?
I would be careful with letting any bug get out of control. If another red spot like this one shows up again, I would eliminate some of the bugs. I have heard an over abundance of even the isipods will start to bite, not sure if true. The others you mentioned I have no idea what they are.

cherplunka

Earth
Thanks!
It's a 55 gallon, but I have an 8x3 on order with Mark. She just really hit a growth spurt in the last few months.

I did research on isopods, and hadn't heard of any problems. But if other people have had issues I won't move them over.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know for sure about the isipods. I know they are safe to use. I'm just not sure if they get out of control.
Can you also post a pic of your torts head from straight on.
@Markw84 might know more about the isipods.
Great cage coming, that's exciting.

cherplunka

Earth
Ants are a real possibility. They get on her whenever she’s outside, and I’ve found them in her tank before.

I’ll pick up some neosporin for her today!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She looks great. A member had a concern of what looked like swelling and ask me to take a look. That's why I ask for the other pics. We didn't want to panic you so we didn't say anything until Mark looked and the pics requested were posted. Just the angle I guess cuz she looks just fine.

cherplunka

Earth
Thanks! It was really considerate of you to take the time to ask for extra pics and to check for swelling. I’ll just keep an eye on the marks and monitor for any negative change.

And her name is Tenochtitlan, but we just call her (or him) Nochi.