Red spots on Russian's skin - photos attached

Buzz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin, USA
These photos were taken several weeks apart. Maybe I'm not very observant, but I've never noticed this on my tort before in years.

One was on his leg among his scales. I thought maybe a scale came loose when he was climbing on rocks outside, but I snapped a pic just in case. Well, today I noticed another little red spot on his skin near the front shoulder.

Are these bug bites?

(Just for some more background info, he went through a period of not eating a couple months back. I adjusted his overnight temps and now he's back to normal. Not sure if this is related or not.)

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210508_111508.jpg
    20210508_111508.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210508_104556.jpg
    20210508_104556.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 14

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's hard for us to know what caused this, we can really only guess, using our experience. The leg injury looks like it may have come from a rodent bite - but again, this is only a guess. The one on his skin might have been from a stick poking him. They're not too bright when moving forward, and don't realize that they can back up to get out of trouble.

Just clean them, dry them and dab on some Neosporin. With raw wounds like that you have to watch out for flies laying their eggs on the spot.