Red worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennise77

5 Year Member
Hi, it's me yet again. I have a baby boxie and I just purchased some red worms. That is what they are called. They are smaller than earth worms and the people at the pet store don't know how to store them. First of all is it ok to feed my baby these worms. Second how long do they last. Do I put them in the fridge or just leave them out? I know I am asking lots of questions but I am a new turtle mom and want to do everything right. :D

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
YOUR BOX TURTLE WILL LOVE THEM AND YOU CAN STORE THE REMAINDER IN THE FRIDGE.JUST MAKE SURE THE CONTAINER IS CLOSED TIGHT!!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
Red worms are just fine to feed your box turtle. I feed my hatchling red worms also. They don't do well in the fridge and need to be kept at about 60 to 70F. You can feed them a good goldfish or koi pellet and this will gut load them for the box turtles. At that temperature they will also breed and make more red worms.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I usually put them into a 5 gallon bucket with clean soil and leaves mixed together. This helps to clean out the worms of whatever they were raised on...just to be sure they are clean for your turtle. I like the idea of feeding the worms like what Danny has suggested. I'm going to add that to my 5 gallon bucket! Then, you can add some kitchen garbage to your bucket occasionally...egg shells...coffee grounds, etc. But only clean garbage. Never put meat into your worm bed. Newspaper is good, orange peels, etc. I have found that red worms straight from the store seem to have a funny smell and the turtles don't eat them as well as they do after the worms have been in my bucket for a week or so.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
How damp to you keep the soil in the bucket? I would love to raise my own and not have to keep buying.

Kristina

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not too wet, but if it seems to be drying out, I just add water. Sort of like the tortoise habitats...lol!

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.