Reddened spot on side of my big guys foot?

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
I noticed a reddened area on Panzers foot today and my vet doesn’t open until Monday morning. Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe just damaged/pinched? I checked his shell and other feet thoroughly and there are no other red areas. He has been acting/eating/drinking normally and enjoying the spring temps and weed growth.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 63245B22-9DCC-48C6-9660-BC85815B4F59.jpeg
    63245B22-9DCC-48C6-9660-BC85815B4F59.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like it's right above a claw. Possibly the claw got stuck on something and bent backwards, causing a bruise to that area. I doubt it's anything to worry about, but keep an eye on it.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Looks like it's right above a claw. Possibly the claw got stuck on something and bent backwards, causing a bruise to that area. I doubt it's anything to worry about, but keep an eye on it.
That makes total sense! There is a bit of a step up onto the driveway he has to navigate when I let him in the front yard to eat while I garden… maybe he stumbled there. I guess in 10 years I haven’t seen what a sulcata stubbed toe looks like!

zovick

10 Year Member!
I noticed a reddened area on Panzers foot today and my vet doesn’t open until Monday morning. Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe just damaged/pinched? I checked his shell and other feet thoroughly and there are no other red areas. He has been acting/eating/drinking normally and enjoying the spring temps and weed growth.

Thanks!
The picture is taken from so close, I am having trouble orienting the exact location of the lesion. It appears to be the front leg and foot, but exactly where on that foot it is located is hard for me to discern.

That being said, it looks like an abscess to me. Tortoises can get them for absolutely no apparent reason. If it is an abscess, it will not go away on its own, but can readily be removed by a vet.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
The picture is taken from so close, I am having trouble orienting the exact location of the lesion. It appears to be the front leg and foot, but exactly where on that foot it is located is hard for me to discern.

That being said, it looks like an abscess to me. Tortoises can get them for absolutely no apparent reason. If it is an abscess, it will not go away on its own, but can readily be removed by a vet.
Sorry was trying to zoom in on the color cause it’s so tiny… it’s a single scale above his distal toe on the front foot