Redfood Enclosure Help

Sugarmagnolia89

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle wa
I just got 2 baby redfooted hatchlings and I realized that I have the complete wrong setup for them. I have purchased a mister and more spagnum moss but I'm trying to figure out the best enclosure or how to make one. I bought the ZooMed tortoise house but obviously wood and water won't be a great combo. Can anyone share links or ideas of what I can build or set up for them? Also, I read that butterworms are a good source of protein but I can't seem to find any anywhere.

Thank you in advance!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your easiest most effective option would be to get a plastic Tote with a lid, as big as you can find. Screenshot_20200430-193652~2.png Then get a radiant heat panel and a tube uvb. Attach them to the lid of your tote. large.jpeg1289977-center-1.jpeg
Then get a thermostat to plug your radiant heat panel into and set it to the temperature you want.61J93u5BzEL._AC_SY450_.jpg Then add substrate, plants, etc. That's it real simple and It's really easy to maintain the humidity you need for the first year or so this way.

Sugarmagnolia89

Seattle wa
Perfect I just ordered some stuff on Amazon and I think I will have to brave the store to find a good tote. Thank you both for your help! I got my tortoises in honor of my grandfather who recently passed away and he always had a bunch of tortoises and turtles. I’ve had all kinds of reptiles before but not tortoises so I’m learning! They’re so cute and they’ve been “coming out of their shell” since the first couple days I had them. One is definitely more adventurous than the other lol. Charlie and Ronnie :)

Chicago
If you still wanted to keep the tortoise table you could put a plactic tray on the bottom which would help the wood with the water. And you can cover part of the top so the humidity stays in. Just a thought

Chicago
I also bought a pond liner and I’m thinking of building a plexiglass top, thoughts?
Yes so I am in the same boat as you I am thinking of doing the same thing pool liner plexi glass it has plactic tray already on the bottom also was thinking of getting a little green house tent to go over the enclosure people have had success with that as well the biggest problem we will have is keeping humidity and the wood getting wet and rotting which will take awhile to do tho.

Sugarmagnolia89

Seattle wa
I am thinking the same. Once the stay at home is lifted (I’m in Seattle) I have a friend that is a woodworker that can help me protect the wood with something nontoxic if that’s even an option. Careful with the liner you get, some have chemicals in the plastic from what I’ve been reading. The pond ones don’t seem to. I feel like such a bad mom for not doing more extensive research before I picked the breed but they’re still super little so I think they will be okay. I’ve had a lot of random reptiles and amphibians throughout the years so I figured I’d be a pro right off the bat. Sorry little guys! All uphill from here!

Yes so I am in the same boat as you I am thinking of doing the same thing pool liner plexi glass it has plactic tray already on the bottom also was thinking of getting a little green house tent to go over the enclosure people have had success with that as well the biggest problem we will have is keeping humidity and the wood getting wet and rotting which will take awhile to do tho.

Sugarmagnolia89

Seattle wa
I am thinking the same. Once the stay at home is lifted (I’m in Seattle) I have a friend that is a woodworker that can help me protect the wood with something nontoxic if that’s even an option. Careful with the liner you get, some have chemicals in the plastic from what I’ve been reading. The pond ones don’t seem to. I feel like such a bad mom for not doing more extensive research before I picked the breed but they’re still super little so I think they will be okay. I’ve had a lot of random reptiles and amphibians throughout the years so I figured I’d be a pro right off the bat. Sorry little guys! All uphill from here!
What kind of tent?

Sugarmagnolia89

Seattle wa
Any suggestion on attaching hinges to plexiglass? I’ve literally never worked with plexiglass. The other option I guess is to make it a cover you take all the way off? I’m semi handy and have the tools I need

Chicago
There you go and I bet you don’t even have to go that far since he/she will grow out of it in about two or three years. Ok thank you for telling me that I will make sure to get a pond liner instead I also know of people using shower liner and no reason to feel bad as long as you fix it like we will I did the same I bought mine because I thought I was getting a Russian tort but then I fell in love with the Redfoots! And exactly at least you make a effort to fix unlike some people who just leave it and say whatever.

Chicago
Any suggestion on attaching hinges to plexiglass? I’ve literally never worked with plexiglass. The other option I guess is to make it a cover you take all the way off? I’m semi handy and have the tools I need
So my first plan was just to cover as much mesh as I could with the plexi glass not make a whole lid for it.

jeannettep

Texas
I cover the top of mine with foil. I had to work with it awhile to see how much covering worked best. But we normally have plenty of humidity. I dont like plastic especially when something will be heated. Just concerns of fumes from plastic. I use coco coir for the substrate. Little ones try to eat everything so that would be safer if she ate it. I did put butcher paper in the bottom, but as she got older she started digging & tried to eat it. But it did make cleaning a breeze. I dont have the substrate wet. Wet isnt a good idea. The humidifier tube leaks water from condensation. So I put a terra cotta dish under it & I pull up fresh grasses & sit them there. They last about a week. Under the other tube for another humidifier I put a terra cotta dish that I keep water in. When I changed to 2 reptile humidifier it was worth it. I use the ink bird humidifier for the newer humidifier so it turns on & off on low. The older one isnt on low but it has poor out put. I keep a large sponge soaked in water 2x week in the hide section. We use kennel seal on anything for animals that we want easy clean up or to keep clean. We put it in an inexpensive pump sprayer & was it good with water after & labeled it non-toxic. So we dont use the same one for fertilizer, bug spray or weed killer. I clean animal things with water & apple cider vinegar. I also use the same light they suggested & 2 che regulated by ink bird. I like the AC. So I cant keep it warm enough with just 1. Now my torts are older my red foots are outside. But my leopard is outside now part of the day when its warm & humid.