unifiedsouls122333

Location (City and/or State)
Erie, Pennsylvania
Hey I guys I am new to this forum.. however I have always came here for info on my now 11 year old redfoot tortoise Loki. I live in the Northeast of the US where we have pretty cold winters (can get down to about 10 degrees at lowest) I have a 8 by 4 enclosure (stock tank from tractor supply) for my tortoise with 2 CHE’s along with a basking bulb and a uvb bulb (those are on a timer and turn off at night while the CHE”s stay on through the night) I have heard very 50/50 opinions about redfoots requiring a cooler spot in the enclosure of lower then 80. My enclosure has hot spots of 90 and an ambient temperature of 84-86 throughout. I also have insulation around the whole enclosure right now to ensure that the heat stays in being that it’s now getting colder this time of year and her enclosure is in the shed. Do u guys think I need to find a way to create a cooler spot for her? Or no? I’ll attach a picture or 2 of my enclosure for her as well. Thanks guys.??

Attachments

• EB0B4114-5801-466F-A3F2-E6B7F9721412.jpeg
    EB0B4114-5801-466F-A3F2-E6B7F9721412.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • FC87980A-17E7-4061-864C-1B8B45AA915B.jpeg
    FC87980A-17E7-4061-864C-1B8B45AA915B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello there and welcome! I am sure someone who knows more than I do will be along soon to help with your questions.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The cool spot will be ok. Because there are other areas that are warmer. And the cool spot isn't that cool.
It's not ideal. But I see the issue there.
The problem is that your enclosure is open on top. That makes trapping warmth and humidity difficult....if not impossible.
Also, if you have any sort of screw in UVB bulb, it needs to be replaced with a T5 strip florescent UVB tube.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The cool spot will be ok. Because there are other areas that are warmer. And the cool spot isn't that cool.
The problem is that your enclosure is open on top. That makes trapping warmth and humidity difficult....if not impossible.
Also, if you have any sort of screw in UVB bulb, it needs to be replaced with a T5 strip florescent UVB tube.
It's been pointed out to me that your top IS closed. (Or close able)
Sorry I missed that fact.

unifiedsouls122333

Erie, Pennsylvania
So what you were saying is that as long as there is a spot that gets a little bit cooler then the hottest ambient temp then I should be good?

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
No worries haha, the one picture was of when I was putting it together and I had the top off. But I use plexiglass over the top.

So one of the other members of the form created a caresheet specifically for people in the Northeast, not sure if you've seen it before but I'll link it here if you haven't. :)

unifiedsouls122333

Erie, Pennsylvania
So one of the other members of the form created a caresheet specifically for people in the Northeast, not sure if you've seen it before but I'll link it here if you haven't. :)

Thank you!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
So what you were saying is that as long as there is a spot that gets a little bit cooler then the hottest ambient temp then I should be good?
Yes. Because with something that large, it might be unavoidable.
My opinion for a Redfoot is that it's better to have an area that's a bit too cool than any area where it is dangerously hot. As long as most of the enclosure is in the comfort zone. That's 80 to 86.

Cherryshell

Manassas Virginia
Another heating option would be to slap a pair of radiant heat panels on the top of the lid, would keep the whole enclosure at the right temps with a thermostat attached to them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Another heating option would be to slap a pair of radiant heat panels on the top of the lid, would keep the whole enclosure at the right temps with a thermostat attached to them.
That may work. But I have no experience with them.
I can't say if they're the answer one way or another

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Yep, I have two RHPs mounted to our Sullys “Winter Time” nightbox. Both attached to one thermostat … works like a charm. Not hot, not cold, a nice emanating radiant heat. Would highly recommend.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
To be honest. I have very little experience with keeping Redfoot indoors and in a large indoors enclosure and no experience at all in attempting to do this in a colder climate.
My location alone is the key to a lot of my success.
I'm in awe of some of the enclosure ideas I've seen.