Redfoot and elongated (Warning. Graphic pictures)

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
I just took in an adult female Redfoot and an adult male elongated they have been kept together their entire lives in Female redfoot looks to be around 9 inches getting ready to lay eggs I was wondering if it was possible for these to Tortoises to make a hybrid and what do you guys think that would look like it’s a curiosity thing after the quarantine period I’ll split them into the respective groups i’ve noticed quite a bit of breeding between the two.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
They shouldn’t even be near each other let alone quarantined together, and especially not be allowed to mate. Throws out the whole purpose of quarantining them in my opinion. Not only are you exposing your group to another individual from the same species but also whatever the other animal may have.

These are two different species from the opposite side of the world. Do you know what happened when the Europeans came over to the Americas? They wiped over 90% of the natives because they had never been exposed to the numerous diseases that the Europeans brought over. They were the same species, redfoot and elongated are 2 different species.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Why would you want to ruin either species? Get them separated asap. Cross breeding shouldn't be done period!
I totally agree with WELLINGTON and G-Stars

THE NEXT TWO POSTS HAVE GRAPHIC PICTURES.
IF GORE UPSETS YOU, STOP HERE.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just took in an adult female Redfoot and an adult male elongated they have been kept together their entire lives in Female redfoot looks to be around 9 inches getting ready to lay eggs I was wondering if it was possible for these to Tortoises to make a hybrid and what do you guys think that would look like it’s a curiosity thing after the quarantine period I’ll split them into the respective groups i’ve noticed quite a bit of breeding between the two.
Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Species should never be mixed. Quarantine needs to be at least 6 months, and I'd go 12 months since these two have been with species from other continents. They should not be together all that time.

I've not seen a hybrid of these two species, but I don't know if it is possible or not. I hope not.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
Oh wow the situation get quite misinterpreted these tortoises belonged to a local guy I was friends with he was just getting too old to keep them so he gave them to me they have quarantined separately for about 45-50 days not done quarantining I was not planning on making a hybrid I just wanted to know if it’s possible because the previous owner said she has layed eggs a few times but that he has never incubated them my question was if it was possible and what it would look like I am expecting eggs from her any day with the amount of test nest she is digging so it got me thinking that’s all

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they are together and no other torts around and you said they have been breeding then its cross breeding and shouldn't be done. They should be seperate asap so they can no longer breed.
Just because the previous owner was careless doesn't make it right or that it should continue.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
If they are together and no other torts around and you said they have been breeding then its cross breeding and shouldn't be done. They should be seperate asap so they can no longer breed.
Just because the previous owner was careless doesn't make it right or that it should continue.
You should read my last post on this thread I said that I separated them I have seen them breeding in past seasons when he owned them not that I have them they have been separated for 45 days or so the females is pacing and digging test nest I was just wondering if the eggs would be worth incubating

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh wow the situation get quite misinterpreted these tortoises belonged to a local guy I was friends with he was just getting too old to keep them so he gave them to me they have quarantined separately for about 45-50 days not done quarantining I was not planning on making a hybrid I just wanted to know if it’s possible because the previous owner said she has layed eggs a few times but that he has never incubated them my question was if it was possible and what it would look like I am expecting eggs from her any day with the amount of test nest she is digging so it got me thinking that’s all
i’ve noticed quite a bit of breeding between the two.
My apologies. That last sentence of your first post made me think that they were currently together at your place and still breeding. I'm glad to know you separated them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should read my last post on this thread I said that I separated them I have seen them breeding in past seasons when he owned them not that I have them they have been separated for 45 days or so the females is pacing and digging test nest I was just wondering if the eggs would be worth incubating
I actually did read it and still missed that they were separated. My apologies.
I don't think anyone knows if they would be viable.
If they were mine I wouldn't hatch them unless I was never going to get rid of them. This way the mix never gets into hands that would try breeding a mix.
Its all up to you. The only mix I can think of that has sadly worked is the sulcata and leopard. They are from the same area with the same care requirements though so that may be why it worked.
There are more people have asked about but I don't know if it was ever done.

nootnootbu

USA
I suppose if you do incubate them, then you can answer the question of whether or not the eggs are viable. I would keep all the resulting offspring though, and not allow them further breeding in the future. You could call them Elonged Foots lol

FredinMotul

Motul, Yucatan, MX
Good luck with your Rescue Tortoises. Both are great fun to deal with!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I always said, when I had my large colony of Redfoots in the States years ago, that I needed to be careful and not get hurt or disabled in the Redfoot enclosure, because I would quickly end up like the Rat above!! Great Pictures.
My group have also taken down rats and birds. It's behavior that is shocking to see.

FredinMotul

Motul, Yucatan, MX
My group have also taken down rats and birds. It's behavior that is shocking to see.
A buddy of mine in Florida, has a herd, and a very large Indigo Snake wandered into his enclosure. Thought better of it, and tried to slip out the wire, and got caught. My friend went to get snips to release the snake, and returned only to find that the herd had begun eating the poor snake alive. No saving it. Too much already gone in minutes. Omnivorous and Opportunistic indeed!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
A buddy of mine in Florida, has a herd, and a very large Indigo Snake wandered into his enclosure. Thought better of it, and tried to slip out the wire, and got caught. My friend went to get snips to release the snake, and returned only to find that the herd had begun eating the poor snake alive. No saving it. Too much already gone in minutes. Omnivorous and Opportunistic indeed!!
Damn.
And that's a protected snake