Redfoot baby - Health Queston - Little help?

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
Hi: Does anybody who is experienced with redfoots (and possibly neglected rescued redfoot babies) know anything about seeing mucous in their urine?

I have one redfoot baby who has had health problems since the day we brought him/her home from a horrific "pet store/feed store" environment, and likely from a breeder who is neither caring or reputable.

This baby has recurring nictitating membrane issues in both eyes, has had such a bad respiratory infection we almost lost her/him when he was still only a couple of inches long, and who potentially has dwarfism according to a herp vet assessment. Dwarfism seems to occur when they are starved and dehydrated for a long time just out of the egg.

My baby "seems to be" thriving currently, except for the recurring nictitating membrane issues in both eyes- which we are treating with eye drops, and paying for a good exotic vet to do some medical research on.

I've posted some pictures here, from 2 days ago. This happens about 2-3 times per week, sometimes every day, and I wondered if any of you have ever seen a redfoot with mucous in the urine like this. I've posted a picture from when it first came out in the soaking water, then on a purple washcloth so it shows up, and then with a human finger next to it on the washcloth for scale.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. He's well cared for according to the care sheets and general wisdom posted on TFO, he's active, hungry, runs around the yard like a banshee, and his sib (housed separately due to his dwarfing the baby in question, pardon the pun) has never had any mucous in his urine.

Thanks for comments, advice, suggestions, etc.
Karen, Bump and Pumpkin (the dwarf redfoot baby)01.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mucous in the poop SOMETIMES means a flagellate infestation. You need to treat with Flagyl, not Panacur. But ask your vet if that's the case.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Yep. Got it- but this is always in his URINE. He has perfect little tortie poops but when the yellow or near-white stream jets out and he urinates in his bath, or on his substrate while he's drinking, he always ends with some of this mucous- more volume lately than ever before. I'll make another vet appointment and take some in a baggie....

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
QUICK UPDATE - the flagella smear and worms panel came back negative. However, the exotic lab manager said he has some insect eggs in his tissue. We are going forward with yet another test on the sample to figure out what type of insect. I am hoping this will both point to a more precise diagnosis and treatment plan than a "general shotgun approach" to dumping chemicals in his already stunted and damaged little body. I'm also hoping this will point me to where he picked up these eggs so that I can prevent this happening to his sib, and to Pumpkin again in the future.

If anybody has any knowledge of diagnoses of insect eggs in tissue, and any experience with treatments, drug precautions, diet and exercise information during treatment, treatment duration, etc, etc, - all information will be most welcome!

Thank you,
Karen