Redfoot baby shell deformed - birth defect?

MandyLLL

Location (City and/or State)
puerto rico
Hi guys!

My Redfoot baby Dingleberry has a slight shell deformation from since I got her (see pic). She (assigned to be female for now) eats, poops, and acts all healthily.

I bought her 3 months ago at a small pet store. Soon after I found TFO. After extensive research and realizing the care tips pet store had given me were way off (from substrate to diet), I quickly changed to follow RF caresheet pinned here (big thank you to everyone).

Is her shell deformation harmless? Will it go away as she grows up? As I research on, I read that issues could arise to seemingly healthy torts had they not been started right. This worries me a little. Any insight/tips would be greatly appreciated!

More about Dingleberry:
SCL: 3‘’(grew around 1/8 inch in the last 3 months)
Weight: 86g(gained about 20g)
Care: following TFO’s RF care sheet, with no UVB or any heat lights. I live in Puerto Rico. it’s very warm here all year round with high ambience humidity to work with. She eats well and I occasionally take her out for some early morning sun - maybe 3 times/month. I soak her daily, wet her food and spray her 4+ times a day.
Enclosure: roughly 2X4’. She has her own room with no furnitures, I let her out on average 1 hour per day to roam around and exercise (thoroughly tortoise-proofed, there are water dish and hide on the floor as well). In the process of building her a 2nd floor for more space. I have a lid for her enclosure but I don’t use it much cuz it will be too hot.

Dingleberry loves climbing and is very good at it. She often lands on her back but can always turn herself. She climbs on her hide from the steep side and get off the easier side (sometimes). I once made a wooden staircase for her to get on and off easier, but she simply lost interest and went on climbing the vertical walls instead.

Sorry for the very long 1st post - and again thanks for all your help in the past and coming 50 years :)

Attachments

• DFCFB52E-E4EE-4943-905F-6DAC43C841C1.jpeg
    DFCFB52E-E4EE-4943-905F-6DAC43C841C1.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 3F52BD17-DD83-4D96-A4B8-C20E28BA387C.jpeg
    3F52BD17-DD83-4D96-A4B8-C20E28BA387C.jpeg
    748.6 KB · Views: 12
  • AA4D4469-59CC-4B6F-BDCC-C2F56D76D219.jpeg
    AA4D4469-59CC-4B6F-BDCC-C2F56D76D219.jpeg
    952.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 195AE9E4-7896-4C82-A9E2-AF5E3B98CE34.jpeg
    195AE9E4-7896-4C82-A9E2-AF5E3B98CE34.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 9
  • F9C6EF85-60AD-40F0-BC29-E7A6E247A0C9.jpeg
    F9C6EF85-60AD-40F0-BC29-E7A6E247A0C9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • 860A5D3D-21EA-4064-9C84-33D0A3510119.jpeg
    860A5D3D-21EA-4064-9C84-33D0A3510119.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very pretty tortoise. Those "wrinkles" are from when 'she' was scrunched up inside the egg. They should smooth out as she grows.

She would appreciate a few potted plants set around inside her territory to make it feel less open and exposed.

MandyLLL

puerto rico
They won't be a problem at all. They may either disappear in time or won't be very noticeable when bigger.
Glad you found the forum and will be giving the best care possible.
Congrats.
Thank you! Glad to know! As long as it wont harm her health I kind of like the wrinkle, it makes her special to me ^^

MandyLLL

puerto rico
That's a very pretty tortoise. Those "wrinkles" are from when 'she' was scrunched up inside the egg. They should smooth out as she grows.

She would appreciate a few potted plants set around inside her territory to make it feel less open and exposed.
Thank you Yvvone for the suggestion! did a quick research on TFO, went out and bought a few suitable plants. Will detox / repot them then the tort will be happier :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
I'd like to ad that it's a great idea to remove or modify ANY item that the tortoise has ever climbed on and fell on his back.
Babies aren't as skilled or shaped correctly to always turn themselves back over as adults are

MandyLLL

puerto rico
Welcome.
I'd like to ad that it's a great idea to remove or modify ANY item that the tortoise has ever climbed on and fell on his back.
Babies aren't as skilled or shaped correctly to always turn themselves back over as adults are
Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully once more plants are added she will settle down a bit. I had added flat rocks in differ areas to give her more traction - after seeing her belly up struggling for 35mins once (from the camera, not standing by with my arms folded 🤣 ).

Will keep working on minimizing accidents.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks for the suggestion! Hopefully once more plants are added she will settle down a bit. I had added flat rocks in differ areas to give her more traction - after seeing her belly up struggling for 35mins once (from the camera, not standing by with my arms folded 🤣 ).

Will keep working on minimizing accidents.
Welcome to the forum. And my experience with my redfoot Houdini, who was threeish when Maggie gave him to me almost a yr ag, is he doesn"t stop trying to climbing up or over anything new, nor does he stop trying to climb out of his soak. So make it as safe as you can & then watch what she does because, well, you've already been exposed....they can be relentless.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Careful what potted plants or flowers you put in her area..as some are toxic. must have humidifer for moisture in the air. I got one at Walgreens.. My redfoot loves moisten mazuri mixed with strawberries, banana, mango..yummy..Hes around 2 -3 years now 4 pounds..Hes a big boy..Loves cooked squash..yellow especially..and a pinky once a month..as he needs a little protein..Greens alot..You can always ask google was right..and please dont forget lighting..far enough yet warm enough uva/uvb so they dont pyramid..She looks beautiful..When I got mine from the pet store, I took him to vet and he had parasites which medicine cleared up..

MandyLLL

puerto rico
Welcome to the forum. And my experience with my redfoot Houdini, who was threeish when Maggie gave him to me almost a yr ag, is he doesn"t stop trying to climbing up or over anything new, nor does he stop trying to climb out of his soak. So make it as safe as you can & then watch what she does because, well, you've already been exposed....they can be relentless.
Thanks Jan! Oh wow here I thought maybe they’d mellow out with age…
This is my 1st tort so I set up 2 cameras and always spy on her. One curious thing I noticed is that my torts bowl movement often happens where she flipped, while struggling to right itself. Does Houdini do that?

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
has vet checked for parasites? I got mojo from pet store, and he had parasites..loose stools etc. but a couple weeks on medicine he is thriving..about 2.5 years now almost four pounds..I have humidifier I got at walgreens to keep air mosture in air, UVA/UVB lights far enough from his pen that it gives rays and warmth..He eat Muzuri moistened with fruit (banana, mango, strawberry_..) squash loves yellow..I cook it so its soft.. and of course greens. You can always google to find out what is compatable for Red foot tortie to eat. I exercise him..inside and out when warm enough at least 60 -65 degrees..I watch closely as hawks etc. can kill them ..so be careful..and lots of love..He loves music in the
morning..and enjoys tv on my lap at night..hummm
Im setting up an outdoor enclosure..for 3-4 months..inside he walks on the tile..and sleep on fresh towels weeklly..Loves hiding in boxes, playing with a tiny ball..Hes a doll

MandyLLL

puerto rico
Careful what potted plants or flowers you put in her area..as some are toxic. must have humidifer for moisture in the air. I got one at Walgreens.. My redfoot loves moisten mazuri mixed with strawberries, banana, mango..yummy..Hes around 2 -3 years now 4 pounds..Hes a big boy..Loves cooked squash..yellow especially..and a pinky once a month..as he needs a little protein..Greens alot..You can always ask google was right..and please dont forget lighting..far enough yet warm enough uva/uvb so they dont pyramid..She looks beautiful..When I got mine from the pet store, I took him to vet and he had parasites which medicine cleared up..
Thanks for the heads up! I did due research and got a spider plant, a monarch fern, also added a mint plant I have into the enclosure. Although come to think of it, the mint scent might be a little strong. Might change out later if I come across something better suited.

Humidifier - I was actually browsing for one. Can you please share a pic / brand of the one you got? I just ordered a more accurate thermometer/hygrometer TFO recommended - acurite brand. So far the stick-on type I have indicates that the temp/humidity are within range. I live in Puerto Rico.

Food - your Redfoot eats well! Mine goes absolutely bonkers for Mazuri but I only give her 1 or 2 pellets per week as a treat. For protein I offer a freeze dry type of cat food with 60% protein made from turkey meat - once a week. As a former turtle keeper, I worry about over feeding. My tort hates mangos though last 2 times I offered - won’t even touch her favorite lettuce if it’s got mango juice on it. Very strange. Otherwise she had tried and liked many things on RF menu.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
With Mojo I have a half handful mazuri heated in water..mixed with fruit everyday..Hes a growing boy..no cat or dog food..only once a month pinky for reptiles..too much protein is not good will cause major problem for redfoot..Their main food is to be fruit and greens..they are not desert tortie rather tropical..Fruit loves bananas and strawberries..little bit honey melon..I got the cheap humidifier at walgreens works great..fill it up every day set on low and moisture in the air..Brand is "walgreens" runs around $25-30 dollars. Its a must have. He also loves steamed yellow squash..everyday..He is doing well..I exercise him for around 30 to 60 mins day..go into the backyard when warm at least 60-65 degrees..and he loves walking on the cement and grass..I watch him closely of course. so hes not fat, but I know hes getting the food to grow..I will try to download picture. Loves greens daily to..very little lettuce..since it has really little vitamins..mustard greens, etc. google it. I got the stick on temp/hum too I have that to ensure its all good...works fine..but I have the humidifier uva/uvb with it.

MandyLLL

puerto rico
has vet checked for parasites? I got mojo from pet store, and he had parasites..loose stools etc. but a couple weeks on medicine he is thriving..about 2.5 years now almost four pounds..I have humidifier I got at walgreens to keep air mosture in air, UVA/UVB lights far enough from his pen that it gives rays and warmth..He eat Muzuri moistened with fruit (banana, mango, strawberry_..) squash loves yellow..I cook it so its soft.. and of course greens. You can always google to find out what is compatable for Red foot tortie to eat. I exercise him..inside and out when warm enough at least 60 -65 degrees..I watch closely as hawks etc. can kill them ..so be careful..and lots of love..He loves music in the
morning..and enjoys tv on my lap at night..hummm
Im setting up an outdoor enclosure..for 3-4 months..inside he walks on the tile..and sleep on fresh towels weeklly..Loves hiding in boxes, playing with a tiny ball..Hes a doll
Great I ll check out the humidifier!

Vet- since my tort has been healthy with good looking poop, we haven’t had to visit a vet. Honestly I trust experienced members here at TFO more. If I learned anything from keeping aquatic turtles it’s that almost over anything is worse than under (feeding, handling, medication… hydrating as an exception of course).

Glad your tort is fully healed now and received so much love! They definitely are fascinating creatures.

I do want to give my tort an annual check up so next up- finding a good reptile clinic here in PR.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Meet Happy Mojo...2.5 years Redfoot 4 pounds..Hes all muscle..amazing what good fresh food can do..

Attachments

• mojo.jpg
    mojo.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
Thank you..Hes a happy happy boy..and Im so lucky to have him..He loves my maltese dog..the two cant be separated. Amazing love both rescues..Of course usually not safe to have torties with dogs..but in life there are exceptions. People could learn alot from torties..just take it slow..explore and love the journey!

Attachments

• mojo and bentley.jpg
    mojo and bentley.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks Jan! Oh wow here I thought maybe they’d mellow out with age…
This is my 1st tort so I set up 2 cameras and always spy on her. One curious thing I noticed is that my torts bowl movement often happens where she flipped, while struggling to right itself. Does Houdini do that?
Being on their back is very stressful and terrifying to a tortoise, especially a young vulnerable one, so yes, it will be likely to ahhh...defecate. it's not fun and could be fatal if they cannot for some reason, right themselves soon enough.